Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

tracing stolen family medals

nicolaw

As advised in another thread, if anyone comes across these on their travels, id appreciate being pointed in the right direction-

There were two 14/15 star trios, in the names of james huntroyd and william huntrod, and a military medal for william

Also, swb number 21658 for james huntroyd

And on the off chance, a ww2 military medal for paul huntroyd, along with africa and italy stars

Service numbers/regiments-

James - 16622, private, inniskilling fusiliers

William - 27761, signaller, royal field artillery

Paul - 1801141, gunner, royal artillery - light anti aircraft

• 7 months later...

Hi Nicola. Thanks for starting this thread. I would dearly love to track down my great-uncle's medals. He died a few days before the Armistice and was a much-loved son and brother. I grew up hearing stories of him from my grandma, and sadly his medals were not among the items that came down my mother's side of the family.

If anyone ever comes across them, he is certainly remembered with pride by us.

Sapper John Wilfred Ball - 98487

223rd Field Company, Royal Engineers

Have you got a crime number and police representative to contact should they resurface? Such information is vital if you are making posts such as this.

You might also want to consider this from Medal News Magazine......

http://www.medaltracker.com/

Regards KB

I think we need to be careful to distinguish between medals that have undoubtedly been stolen (and the theft reported to the police) and those that someone may feel they have been 'robbed of' by circumstances (inheritance by another branch of their family, sale or other disposal by another family member in the past, etc). We may sympathise with someone who explains that their elderly mother lent granddad's medals to cousin Harold, who now refuses to give them back (and might potentially sell them in the future), but if that someone is not prepared to formalise their complaint, what is a Pal to do if they happen to encounter the medals in the marketplace?

I agree with that Siege Gunner. I suppose my own hope is that by putting it out there there is a faint possibility that someone might have acquired something as a collector that they might be willing to sell back to a person with a personal attachment. A bit naive I know.

I think we need to be careful to distinguish between medals that have undoubtedly been stolen (and the theft reported to the police) and those that someone may feel they have been 'robbed of' by circumstances (inheritance by another branch of their family, sale or other disposal by another family member in the past, etc). We may sympathise with someone who explains that their elderly mother lent granddad's medals to cousin Harold, who now refuses to give them back (and might potentially sell them in the future), but if that someone is not prepared to formalise their complaint, what is a Pal to do if they happen to encounter the medals in the marketplace?

Indeed. The proof medals are stolen is from a crime report. Any present owner of the medals in question is likely to ask for this.

As siege gunner has pointed out. There is a lot of difference between 'stolen' and 'missing' medals.