Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war records

Guest fisher

hello everyone i,ve been tracing my family tree for the past few months, and have now starting to look at things more deeply, as i have only just found this site it looks great.

Does anybody know that when my grandfather apply to serve in the royal marines in 1907, would he have had to show his true brith certificate. or was it they just took there word for it.

And does anyone know about sevicemen getting married while they were in service i.e what records are there?

thanks this will be the first of many questions

Paul

You should be able to obtain a copy of his Royal Marine Light Infantry/Artillery/Etc; service papers from the NA/PRO @ Kew,Usually there is an Annotation Regarding Marriage on the Service Sheet[Amending N~o~K from Parent/Etc to Spouse]The age of a recruit would usually be accepted as that given by the Recruit @ enlistment,as he was signing the Attestation as a statement of Fact;before the Recruiting Sergeant/Officer.

• 1 month later...

Hi

If you have visited NAR at Kew you probably have sorted out your research if not.....

Either from what you already hold or from census' I found that to reduce searching you need to know what Division he was in ie Plymouth, Chatham, Portsmouth, Woolwich.

Some details are held on microfiche & some are hard copy.

If you request the heavier & larger registers they will be delivered to the Map & Large Doc Reading Room at the top of the building.

The series you need are ADM some of which you can search on line

www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk also try from the library 'Tracing your Ancestors in the Public Record Office' by Amanda Bevan (Costs £16)

Best of Luck

BenB