Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary Request - 74th Brigade RFA

David Lea

Good Morning

Does anyone have copies of the War Diaries for the 74th Brigade Royal Field Artillery to cover any of the period between 05/10/1915 to 04/10/1917.

I'm researching my Great Uncle, Gunner 104915 George Croft of the Royal Field Artillery who served with 'C' Bty 74th Brigade RFA and was killed in action on 04/10/1917 in France.

Many thanks in anticipation.

David

• 3 months later...

Good morning

I'm just re-posting my original message in the hope someone may be able to assist with the above request... maybe someone has got copies of the diaries since my original post?

Many thanks in anticipation.

David

• 3 weeks later...

David
I have the diary for March to August 1916 and April to Oct 1917. Please let me know if you want any dates lookd up
Regards
Colin

Edited

David

I think I have sent you some of the dates mentioned above - please let me know if I've missed any out.

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Colin

Many thanks for this as always!

That's fantastic, I know you previously sent me an extract from the TMB War Diary which covered my grandfather being injured by a 'premature' but I don't think you have sent me any from the 74th Brigade RFA.

Gunner George Croft was KIA on 04/10/1917, so I would certainly be interested in that date (a 'Lt Finn' from the same battery as George was killed on the same day, so I'd also be interested to see if he is mentioned?)

If possible, I'd also be interested in the week leading upto his death, to give me a flavour of the type of activity he and his comrades would have been involved in and where he was based?

I'm afraid I know very little about the rest of George's time in France, since his service record does not appear to have survived but if it is not too much trouble, is it possible to give an overview of the activities of the 74th Brigade for the dates you have, again, to give me a flavour of George's life in the army?

I hope I'm not asking too much, please tell me if I am!

You may still have my e-mail from previous communications but if not, it is:- david@familea.freeserve.co.uk

Thanks again for you help and kind regards

David

Morning Colin

On the cadge again, I'm afraid.

Could you please post the WD for the 74th Brigade as below, cheers.

“C” Battery, 74th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery for Tuesday 20 June 1916 (KiA this date)

Regards,

Graeme

• 8 months later...

I am researching the 74 men on my village war memorial and one of them is Gunner Alred William Chamberlain 132505, "B" Battery, 74th Brigade, RFA

He died on 30th June 1917 and is buried in Plot 3 of Ferme-Olivier Cemetery.

Information is sparse o I ould relaly appreciate it if someone could tell me what was happening about the date of his death

• Admin

I am researching the 74 men on my village war memorial and one of them is Gunner Alred William Chamberlain 132505, "B" Battery, 74th Brigade, RFA

He died on 30th June 1917 and is buried in Plot 3 of Ferme-Olivier Cemetery.

Information is sparse o I ould relaly appreciate it if someone could tell me what was happening about the date of his death

Unfortunately the war diary which is downloadable from TNA for £3.30 is not much help as far as Gnr Chamberlain is concerned:

The entry for 30 June reads 'Sergt Meredith and Sergt Davidson wounded +

Gnr Chamberalin killed & Gnr Stone' That's it.

'B' Battery seems to have suffered a number of casualties during this period which appears to be from German counter battery fire.

The CO was Lt Col Buzzard and the entry for 18 June shows 'Brigade now known as 'BUZZARD GROUP' took over headquarters "The Chateau" Elverdinge'. From taking over this position the Brigade appears to have been in more or less constant action and suffered coiner battery shelling from German 4.2 and 5.9 Artillery. They remained in this position until 31 July.

Ken

• 3 months later...

A very very belated thank you for this information.

In June/July I was putting in long hours to complete the men's profiles for display at the War memorial by 4th Aug (finished 29th) and forgot that I hadn't thanked you.

Sandra Kiely