Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mechanics

Hugo Franck

No doubt, in WW1 aviation the field mechanics must have played an important role in "war in the air".

Damaged planes after a mission and engines which needed overhaul after very few hours... who did all this maintenance an repair work.

Is there information about these people. I can imagine that they performed many hours of work at night to get planes ready in the morning.

Their relationship with the pilots must haven been a matter of high confidence.

Is there literature about it ? Who can give me info ?

Cheers

Hugo

I am interested in this question and if you find out any info let me know.

I have asked this question before in a post to the forum on 28 May "Training RFC Ground Crew",I asked the following:

"Does any body have (or know where to find them) any records of training RFC Ground Crew especially at the No 1, School of Instruction Reading in 1916-1917?

On my Uncles Service record it shows under special qualifications 'Engine Fitter. School of I.S. Reading" and Simon Birch (a member of the Forum) sent me this link for the No.1 School of Instruction at Reading RFC from 17 July 1916 to 20 Feb 1917 the document reference at Kew is AIR1/136/15/40/271 1

http://discovery.nat...ls?uri=C4079069. I have sent a message to the Archives and asked for a cost estimate for a copy of the document, but I have not yet received a reply. I may at sometime go to Kew to look at the document but I have not yet become a reader.

Some people think the school at Reading was just for flight crew which may be the case as my uncle Reg King later became a 2nd Lt 48245 and a pilot late in 1917.

I also posted a question on 13 May 2013 under the heading "RFC Scool of Instruction Reading - Engine Fitters 1916" as follows: Does anyone have any information on training fitters and mechanics for the RFC at the Reading No.1 School of Instruction in 1916 to 1917? But I got no replies.

No doubt, in WW1 aviation the field mechanics must have played an important role in "war in the air".

Damaged planes after a mission and engines which needed overhaul after very few hours... who did all this maintenance an repair work.

Mechanics at front line airfields would only deal with superficial damage and they certainly would not overhaul engines. Where possible damaged airframe components would be replaced not repaired and the same would apply to engines. The RFC (and RNAS) had a hierarchy of repair facilities ending in the airframe and engine manufacturers and damaged airframes and engines would be passed back until they reached a level of expertise and equipment that could deal with them. The RFC were certainly aware of the danger of airframe failure due to the effects of combat damage and stress, a bullet hole in a bit of fabric - fine put a patch on it, - in a longeron replace the component if possible otherwise send the airframe back down the line for this to be done. Would you want to risk your life in a weakened airframe?

'Flying Fury - Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps' by James McCudden VC is worth reading because he spent a few years as an engine mechanic before he became an observer and, later, a very successful pilot. He remustered from RE Boy Soldier to the RFC in 1913 and seems to have learned his trade as an engine mechanic on the job. He joined 3 Squadron and went to France with them in August 1914 and spent 18 months maintaining engines whilst frequently moving from one aerodrome to the next. The tale gives a good impression of what the job was like in the early part of the war.

Hugo

I have asked this question before in a post to the forum on 28 May "Training RFC Ground Crew",I asked the following:

"Does any body have (or know where to find them) any records of training RFC Ground Crew especially at the No 1, School of Instruction Reading in 1916-1917?

On my Uncles Service record it shows under special qualifications 'Engine Fitter. School of I.S. Reading" and Simon Birch (a member of the Forum) sent me this link for the No.1 School of Instruction at Reading RFC from 17 July 1916 to 20 Feb 1917 the document reference at Kew is AIR1/136/15/40/271 1

http://discovery.nat...ls?uri=C4079069. I have sent a message to the Archives and asked for a cost estimate for a copy of the document, but I have not yet received a reply. I may at sometime go to Kew to look at the document but I have not yet become a reader.

Some people think the school at Reading was just for flight crew which may be the case as my uncle Reg King later became a 2nd Lt 48245 and a pilot late in 1917.

I also posted a question on 13 May 2013 under the heading "RFC Scool of Instruction Reading - Engine Fitters 1916" as follows: Does anyone have any information on training fitters and mechanics for the RFC at the Reading No.1 School of Instruction in 1916 to 1917? But I got no replies.

Thanks for the reply,

As mentioned by Roger Austin in his answer, the book of J.Mc Cudden who started his career as a mechanic may be a good advise.

I keep you informed about futher usable info !

Mechanics at front line airfields would only deal with superficial damage and they certainly would not overhaul engines. Where possible damaged airframe components would be replaced not repaired and the same would apply to engines. The RFC (and RNAS) had a hierarchy of repair facilities ending in the airframe and engine manufacturers and damaged airframes and engines would be passed back until they reached a level of expertise and equipment that could deal with them. The RFC were certainly aware of the danger of airframe failure due to the effects of combat damage and stress, a bullet hole in a bit of fabric - fine put a patch on it, - in a longeron replace the component if possible otherwise send the airframe back down the line for this to be done. Would you want to risk your life in a weakened airframe?

Thank you for the answer.

Indeed there will have been a limit on the skills and job descriptions of the mechanics of the airfields. In think the book advised in the reply of Roger Ausin may already be useful.

'Flying Fury - Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps' by James McCudden VC is worth reading because he spent a few years as an engine mechanic before he became an observer and, later, a very successful pilot. He remustered from RE Boy Soldier to the RFC in 1913 and seems to have learned his trade as an engine mechanic on the job. He joined 3 Squadron and went to France with them in August 1914 and spent 18 months maintaining engines whilst frequently moving from one aerodrome to the next. The tale gives a good impression of what the job was like in the early part of the war.

Thank you for the useful info.

Did you read this book ? Is it worth to by it ? Some of these books give a long and detailed reporting about dog fights and for me that's not relevant.

Hugo, Yes, there is a good deal of 'dog-fighting' but he did not become a pilot until page 89. Prior to that, he was an engine mechanic, gradually transitioning to an observer/gunner. It won't take you long to read pages 1-88. As I have just finished reading my copy, send me an address and I will put it into the post to you. I don't need it back. Roger Austin.

Roger

Due to an operating error of mine I have to rewrite my answer. Sorry its late.

I appreciate your proposal of sending me the pages, but because I live in Belgium, I ask you to let me pay at least for the shipping cost.

I am trying to prepare a lecture on war aviation during the last years of the war, mainly concerning technical and human aspects. As a red wire, I use the story of George August Vaughn, US pilot in RFC service 84th SQD & 17th SQD and survived.

I found that you are interested in te 54th SQD, also flying Sopwith Camels. I own a book providing the story of each Camel built, in relation to their pilot. Let me know if you need some info.

My adress is:

Rode-Kruislaan 20

2950 Kapellen

Belgium

Tel. 32 3 292 55 04

Hugo

Hugo, The book was in the post Monday to you. Thank you for the offer ref the Camel book but I already have it. Yours, Roger austin.

Roger.

I received it well, A quick surprise ! Thank you so much.

Stories of a hundred years ago...why are we still fascinated ?

Mc Cudden writes that there was a lot of discipline. Other sources claim that there was poor discipline because most early pilots were better or upperclass people with expensive and high tech toys not familiar with of military culture.

• 2 weeks later...

Hugo

There is a small book "The Royal Flying Corps 1912-1918 in Oxfordshire" by Peter Wright which has some detail and pictures of the No1 School of Aeronautics at Reading which you may find interesting. My own grandfather was there in 1916 as a sergeant in the RFC and I have a great group photo of all Officers & SNCOs outside the establishment in 1916 all named.

Regarding RFC Mechanics there is a book by P E Butcher called "Skill and Devotion" which is his story of being a mechanic in the RFC which you may find of interest

Faggy

Thanks for the information. I will look out for the books you quoted.

Geoff

Faggy,

About "Skill and Devotion"

I this a book about mechanics on the western front airfields or about mechanics in the School of Aeronautics?

Mechanics must have been close with the pilots they served. From their experiences I hope to get a better picture of the mentality of the pilots and the "human" aspects in general. It is an indirect way to learn more about the "lesser gods" , the average pilots, less skilled, more careful, less brave or mentally broken after a while. Books written by or about "aces" focus to much on personal victories and seldom mention how they really feld. What about the average skilled pilots, their fears, their mental and physical condition. After a long search, I bought the autobiography of US pilot George Ausgust Vaughn and I was surprised that he had a good time during his training in the RFC schools in UK in 1917 and afterwards on the western front.( 84th and 17th SQD )

Hugo Franck

• 3 weeks later...

Hugo

From "The Ground Up - A History of RAF Ground Crew" by Fred Adkin, he writes "The CWS Jam Factory at Coley Park, Reading, was taken over on 21st July 1916, to train 500 fitters and riggers in addition to 300 officers. Reading had previously known as No 1 Scholl of Instruction and had been formed on 1st December 1915"

I thoroughly recommend this book if you want to learn more about the training and utilisation of the various trades of ground crew.

• 3 weeks later...

My name Is Lee and my Great Grand uncle was named 'Sidney Harold Cope', he was an Air Mechanic in the RNAS in 1917, his service number was F 34295.

Sidney's service began at President II before being deployed to Dunkirk in WW1 where he earned the Victory and Great War Medal for his efforts.

Subsequently he was part of the amalgamation with the RFC which thus created the RAF 234295.

I'm very interested in gaining as much knowledge as I can about the RNAS and would very much like to speak with much more knowledgeable people about the subject.

I'm particularly interested in uniform, cap badge and photo's, so feel free to contact me, my Email is slee.5391@hotmail.com

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know of the location of training camps in England for R F C mechanics?

I have a relation Earnest Jesse Bracey who at his marriage in 1917 was a third class air mechanic 95419 Royal Flying Corps, serving with 10th Kite Balloon Section.

This was part of First Balloon Wing of RAF's 1 Brigade in 1918.

I assume he would have been part of the Ground Crew and I also wondered what type of training he might have received

Roger Coasby

Mates,

Just to add an other demension, I have AFC soldiers recorded as mechanics and or fitters.

What was the job difference between the two or where they the same?

S.B

• 1 year later...

Yrs ago I talked to a former RFC/RAF Air Mechanic about his service in WW1. His memory was a bit gone but he told me some very interesting stories about his service. He couldn't recall the units he was in but I'm sure his stories were true as he rememebred them. He told me that he was a carpenter so rated a "RIGGER" working on everything but the engines. He recalled the best pilot he ever had was a 2/Lt. again no name. He said this pilot came to them who worked on his plane. He asked if he could help in any way with the work & just tell him what he could do to help. Turns out he was a bit in the way even though his intentions were of the best. The old veteran said this pilot earned their undyng gratitude by his offer & that they would have done anything for him & put in extra hours on his ship to make it oneof the best in the unit. He said his pilot survive the war. I think most mechanics realised they held the pilot's life in their hands & what a heavy responsibility it was & performed accordingly. All in the face of often unreliable engines & equipment. They never get the full credit due them in print but to most pilots they were top of the list.

Centurion,

I'm afraid that you are not correct in saying that repairs on a squadron would only be of a superficial nature. Squadrons had well equipped workshops where quite major repairs were undertaken, including overall of engines.

• 7 years later...

Mate,

A check of the Book "One Airmans War" from the diaries of Aircraft Mech Joe Bull 1 Sqn AFC edited by Mark Lax

Gives an outline an duties he did in the war which included repairing engines and remaking planes from parts.

S.B

On 01/02/2023 at 19:48, Skipman said:

Flying Fury by McCudden is available to borrow from archive.org

https://archive.org/details/flyingfuryfiveye0000mccu/mode/2up

Mike

I'm sure Alex Revell will wince when he reads that you recommend BORROWING Flying Fury rather than owning a copy!

It should be a mandatory purchase for all users of this website.Alex told me that he reads it annually.

It is that good.

• 5 months later...

Anyone got any good pics of air mechs at work?

Air Mechanics "working" My father ,with pipe,Air Mechanic , with colleagues on Imbros from 2 Wing RNAS 1915. This illustrates the conditions in which they were expected to provide a service. An old airframe used as a test bed for engines. They lived in tents and in the boxes used to transport new aircraft.

Imbros.jpg

Imbros Voisin engine. 001.jpg

Edited by Alan Bentley