Chris_Baker

Gallipoli Day/ANZAC Day 2003

There is a service near you!

All of this info has kindly been supplied by forum member michaeldr

THURSDAY 24 April

HAREFIELD

1500 hrs at St. Mary the Virgin

Preacher, the Australian High Commissioner Michael L'Estrange

The service leads to a wreath laying ceremony at the ANZAC Cemetery and concludes with refreshments at the Church Hall

FRIDAY 25 April

LONDON

0500 for 0515 hrs in Battersea Park at the Anzac bronze bas relief close to the RAAF Memorial Stone. Further info: Wandsworth Borough Council Events Office tel: 020 7223 6241

0915 for 0930 hrs in the Crypt of St. Paul's Cathedral at the Gallipoli Memorial

Short service and wreath laying by The Gallipoli Association including representatives from the governments of U.K., Australia, New Zealand and France

1030 for 1100 hrs at The Cenotaph, Whitehall

Two minutes silence and short service, plus parade

1140 for 1200 hrs at Westminster Abbey

Annual ANZAC Day service

CHEPSTOW

1100 hrs at Beaufort Square in the centre of Chepstow

RNA wreath laying ceremony at the memorial to Seaman Williams VC of 'River Clyde' fame

CHILWORTH

1600 hrs at St. Martha's on the Hill (the church stands alone on the North Downs above Chilworth just east of Guildford.)

The Freyberg family invite other to join them for a service

MORAYSHIRE

1000 hrs at the Dallachy Strike Wing Memorial, Bogmoor, Morayshire

Wreath laying ceremony

The memorial is situated beside the B9104 running south from Spey Bay to Fochabers

EDINBURGH

1200 hrs at the Scottish National War Memorial, Edinburgh Castle

Further info from the Royal British Legion tel: 0131 557 2782

PETERBOROUGH

1430 hrs in Broadway Cemetery at 'the lonely Anzac' grave of Sergeant Hunter

The ceremony will be attended by the Lord Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire, the Mayor of Peterborough, other dignitaries and ex-service associations

OXFORD

1830 hrs in St. John's College Chapel, St. John's (entrance from St. Giles)

Further info from Duncan McGillivray e-mail: duncan.mcgillivray@st-johns.oxford.ac.uk

SHAFTESBURY

1500 hrs at War Memorial Park Walk, Shaftesbury

Memorial service and wreath laying

SUTTON VENY

1030 hrs at the Church of St. John the Evangelist

Children from Sutton Veny School will lay flowers on the graves of 143 Australian servicemen and nurses buried here

Also please note

Since 1919 a Service of Commemoration has been held here and this year it takes place at

1500 hrs on Sunday 27 April

SUNDAY 27 April

BROCKENHURST

1445 hrs Inspection of participating contingents

1500 hrs Service at the New Zealand Memorial, St. Nicholas' Churchyard

Children will place flowers by the headstones of 94 Australian and New Zealand servicemen

BURY

1045 hrs Parade forms up at the Drill Hall, before marching to the Church for the Gallipoli Commemoration Service commencing at 1145 hrs

Wreaths will then be laid at the War Memorial

followed by a march led by the Fusiliers Association Band and drums

Further info from Heather Wilson, Admin Officer, RRF HQ Lancs.,

Wellington Barracks, Bolton Road, Bury, BL8 2PL

CAMBRIDGE

1500 hrs at Church of St. Andrew the Great, Lion Yard, St. Andrew's Street

Service arranged by the Cambridge Branch of the Britain Australia Society

CANNOCK CHASE

1000 for 1030 hrs at the War Cemetery, Brocton, Cannock Chase

The largest service outside of Australia or New Zealand with about 150 Standards from all over the country

CARISBROOKE

1445 for 1500 hrs at Hero's Corner of the Mount Joy Cemetery

Wreath laying ceremony to those who fell at Gallipoli

FAKENHAM

1500 hrs at Fakenham Parish Church

The Norfolk Branch of the Britain-Australia Society extend a very warm invitation to attend their

Anzac Day Service

LEIGHTERTON

1500 hrs at the Cemetery of this south Cotswold village where 23 men from Australia and New Zealand are buried, all killed while training during WWI

Note: service is preceded by a Parade at Leighterton School to be inspected by the Lord Lieutenant of Gloucestershire Sir Henry Elwes

Weather permitting, there will be a fly-past of vintage aircraft

ST ALBANS

1500 hrs at Hatfield Road Cemetery, a Service of Commemoration for 200 war dead at rest there

STAPLEFORD

1130 hrs at St. Helen's in Stapleford, Nottingham

Service arranged by the RMA (Notts Branch)

followed by wreath laying at the grave of Walter Parker VC., a Gallipoli veteran

Guest of Honour will be Lieutenant-General Sir Henry Beverley KCB, RM

WALTON ON THAMES

1815 hrs The Parade commences

1830 hrs The Anzac Service in St. Mary's Church, Church Street

Since 1920 a service has been held to commemorate especially the 27,000 wounded soldiers from New Zealand who were treated at the Mount Felix Hospital during WWI

WARRINGTON

1615 hrs at Soldiers' Corner, Warrington Cemetery, Manchester Road

Short service and wreath laying, remembering Gallipoli

I would like to thank Chris for promptly posting this info which I believe will be useful to many members of this forum and I would also like to take this opportunity to acknowledge that the work behind this list not my own: I am merely a transcriber. In fact this list is taken from an 8 page booklet which is produced annually for this occasion by David R. Saunders MBE and distributed with Spring edition of 'The Gallipolian' which he edits on behalf of The Gallipoli Association. There is a link to that association's web site via 'Links' on this site's home page.

I hope that you will find this info to be of use and that as many of you as possible will take this opportunity to remember those who were involved in the Gallipoli campaign of 1915.

Michael D.R.

I must have missed something while on exchange in the UK on Anzac Day many years ago.

The regiment I was with didn't know anything about this?

But I surpose the Blues and Royals were not invovled so wouldn't have.

I do remember being not allowed to enter the British Leigon Club (up from Combermere Barracks in Windsor) because I was an Australian Soldier and not British.

Kept up the good work

Lest we forget

S.B

It is good to have the list of Anzac Services taking place in the UK.

Regarding the notice concerning Brockenhurst, to put the record straight, there are 93 New Zealand Expeditionary Force men and 1 Australian buried in the cemetery.

This year, The New Zealand High Commissioner, Russell Marshall, will be attending the service.

Clare

Clare,

Many thanks for that additional info about the NZEF numbers at Brockenhurst. I have brought it to the attention of David Saunders and no doubt he will include it in next year's booklet

All the best

Michael D.R.

Having looked at the comments about Anzac Day in the past two weeks, I'm very glad to know that this day will not just be commemmorated in Australia & New Zealand, but also in many other parts of the world.

I'm heading off to my local Dawn Service tomorrow morning, and I hope that those that can, will be able to take part in any services that may be near them.

Cheers

Andrew

Just to add one more that usually gets overlooked:

The annual Gallipoli memorial service in Burnley, Lancashire takes place this Sunday (27th April) at St.Peter's Parish Church at 10.15am, followed by a buffet at the Kierby Hotel.

Dave.

A belgian newspaper brings this weekend a photograph of this commemoration, i.e "the landing on the shores of Gallipoli". Interested members can receive a scan of this photograph.

Gilbert Deraedt

:huh:

Dave,

Many thanks for posting the info re Burnley; I hope that all went well this morning

Thanks also to Kate Wills who e-mailed me regarding the Northants Branch of the WFA who attended the 9 Australian graves in the Towcester Road Cemetery, Northampton on Anzac Day, remembering those men and their sacrifice by planting crosses/poppies

As with Clare's post, I will pass all this info on to Dave Saunders and hopefully he can extend next year's listings to include these details too

Thanks to Gilbert who I have e-mailed direct and to all of you who have shown an interest in this anniversary

Best Regards

Michael D.R.