Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCLI

Surely that can't be right for my chap. he has the 1914 Star, which was only issued to those who served in France or Belgium between August 5th and November 22nd 1914.

• Admin

5th Bty embarked on 5th November and would have travelled overnight to arrive in France on the 6th. They then would have travelled to meet up with the Indian Divisions they were attached to.

5th Bty embarked on 5th November and would have travelled overnight to arrive in France on the 6th. They then would have travelled to meet up with the Indian Divisions they were attached to.

That makes perfect sense given the diary entries. Thanks SPOF, I didn't have access to the information that nailed the theory. So presumably that shows he was entitled to the '14 Star but I believe the entitlement to wear the clasp to the star is questionable and you would have to put the man within range of the guns within specific dates. I have, as was previously suggested, often found it useful to research other men that would have been there at the time. It is very frustrating that the service records have not survived for so many of them.

Surely after 100 years,serious Forum researchers,cannot deny an honest WW1 1914 servicemen his missing or not distinction?

The Medals were purchased and the buyer is now undertaking Forum Research,to fill in gaps.

Thus far the Forum "has confirmed entitlement" to the 1914 Star but has doubts about "Clasp "entitlement.,in the absence "of surviving records".

Please try and put your Forum minds "in the recipients shoes".

He arrived in France in November 1914,served throughout the War but after the War's end when wearing his 1914 Star felt the need to "award himself" the Clasp,which was possibly correctly earned but administratively rejected.

George

Interesting comment George. Of course we will never know the exact truth and as this man was a professional soldier with a LSGC Medal I feel he would have been unlikely to award himself something that was not deserved.

I shall leave the clasp attached, for now.

Regards DCLI

I don't think anyone is denying or overlooking his gallant service nor would I condone the removal of the clasp (see post #14). However, I don't see the problem in getting trying to unravel a mystery. As DCLI points out - we may never know but at least if you have exhausted all avenues of research than you can put your hand on heart and say that you tried to find out instead of seeing it as too much hard work that you can't be bothered finding out. I think that there will have been countless mysteries solved from the combined knowledge and help from the members of this forum but there will also be countless mysteries that will forever be, unsolved.

The fact that many of us try to help each other out in our different quests is one of the enjoyments of using the forum.

• Admin

I'm also not sure we should assume the man awarded himself the Clasp. If he had and went to a reunion he would have been laughed at. I suspect it was added later either unwittingly by someone not aware of the qualifying rules or on purpose by someone trying to sell it for more money.

It is another area of uncertainty we'll never know about 100% but I would make sure these uncertaintys are noted in your files whether or not you decide to remove the Clasp.

Glen

Thanks one and all. Interesting twists and turns here.

I intend keeping this group for a while, with the relevant paperwork. I shall leave the clasp attached, for now.

I would like to attached a photo of the group but it seems this is not possible on replies.

Thanks one and all. Interesting twists and turns here.

I intend keeping this group for a while, with the relevant paperwork. I shall leave the clasp attached, for now.

I would like to attached a photo of the group but it seems this is not possible on replies.

That's a shame - I haven't seen a set with a clasp but I suppose I can google it. Glen has raised some brilliant points. I suppose you would really need someone who knew the man to come forward - you could always try tracing relatives. There have been threads on the Forum about those who awarded themselves medals (including VC) however, as Glen pointed out any reunions or occasions where he might wear the medals would have risked exposure - the truth will always out, as they say. It has been fascinating to discuss and follow it and should you gather any more information, it would make interesting reading if you are willing to share.

Cheers and good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

In Howard Williamson's excellent work "Great War Medal Collectors Companion" on page 52 there is an appendix listing qualifying units.

The 5th brigade RFA is not listed.

However, the Division Ammunition Columns of both the Meerut and Lahore Divisions did qualify.

I don't know if this helps, but I offer it up.

Regards,

Joseph