Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal

Guest trenchfoot

Guest trenchfoot

Can anyone help with the following please,

I have 2 medals , ww1 , war and victory , to; R M B , C.H.SMALL. 353.

Does the rmb stand for Royal Marine Band ? and if so , would he

possibly have seen active service ?

RMB does indeed stand for Royal Marines Band.

It is very possible that your man did see active service possibly in the hazardous role of stretcher bearer as bandsmen were often used in this position.

Equally likely is that he saw sea service on one of HM's ships. With that service number I would have expected a 14/15 star as well although someone else might know better.

Slightly off topic. I have a commemorative book for the re-union dinner of the sergeants of the Royal Marine Artillery and RM School of Music which was held at Eastney Barracks on 7 July 1923. This lists past and present members of the Corps, including those who were commissioned and gives date of enlistment, date of discharge and rank on discharge. It also lists members who were still serving on that date. Included is a named group photograph of serving members, many of whom appear to have WW1 service.

C H Small is not amongst them, however I will be happy to look up names for any forum members.

Terry Reeves

RMB.353 indicates a second batch entry date into the Royal Marine Band between January and August 1904.

If he served after August 1918 then he would have been absorbed into one of the Grand Divisions of the Royal Marines and issued with a divisional prefix and number. These are:

CH - Chatham

PLY - Plymouth

PO - Portsmouth

RMA - Royal Marine Artillery

Members of the RMB are more likely to have served at sea than in the Royal Naval Division. The fact that he possesses a Victory medal indicates that he did indeed see active service. His service record will be available at Kew.

Regards,

Alex. :D

• 2 years later...
Slightly off topic. I have a commemorative book for the re-union dinner of the sergeants of the Royal Marine Artillery and RM School of Music which was held at Eastney Barracks on 7 July 1923. This lists past and present members of the Corps, including those who were commissioned and gives date of enlistment, date of discharge and rank on discharge. It also lists members who were still serving on that date. Included is a named group photograph of serving members, many of whom appear to have WW1 service.

C H Small is not amongst them, however I will be happy to look up names for any forum members.

Terry Reeves

Hi Terry.Do you have a Harry Camfield listed I have his trio and he was Bugler/Drummer WW1/ Portsouth Division.All the best Bob Clayton.

dear pal terry can you look up george tristram royal marine artillery band portsmouth . have you any photos of the royal yacht medina .my man sailed on her in 1911 to india with king george the 5th .i would love to see photos of the band of about that time. thankyou very much tom ps what became of the royal yacht in the great war