Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WHERE IS THIS IN PERONNE?

Lindsey

The attached is a photo of my Grandfather William Leslie Lilly, which was in the Graphic newspaper March 31 1917. He is the man on the left in the foreground, carrying a Lewis Gun. He was in the 1/8 Royal Warwicks and then, I have recently discovered, was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps.

My reason for posting this photo is to see if anyone can identify which part of Peronne it is in as I am going in May 2005 ? I would dearly love to re-visit this place he marched through in March 1917 and if I am fortunate enough, also take a photo of the location today.

My grandfather, born 1894, died aged 36yrs in England. He contracted TB in a POW camp in Austria, he was captured at Asiago June 16 1918. Sadly my mother was only three yrs old when he died so she has no recollection of him, which is why our visit is so important to us in tracing his journey through WW1.

Any help regarding this photo would be most appreciated.

Lindsey

post-12-1095016703.jpg

Lindsey, it is the main square in Peronne. I am fairly sure that if you take the street to the right , the one that the troops have just walked up, it will lead you down to a right turn which leads to the L' Historial.

Terry Reeves

Hi Terry

I am so pleased you have replied with such good news on where this photo was taken. Our trip in May to Peronne is to include a visit to the Historical Peronne Museum, which will make it much more easy for me to find and photograph, :) now you have identified a location which, from what you say is near by the musuem!!!

Thank you and a big thanks to Aurel who has so kindly helped me with all the tecnicalities of posting this photo. I wish I was going tomorrow!!

Lindsey

Lindsey,

I told you : I knew someone was bound to give you the answer you wanted !!! I just knew it ! And it didn't take more than 11 minutes !

Terry,

Thanks for replying to Lindsey and thus enabling me to write these triumphant words to her. Otherwise I would have been left blushing and feeling embarrassed because I had overestimated the knowledge and willingness to help of this Forum.

Aurel

I think this is correct. On that small street leading to the museum, you pass a hotel on the right before getting to the larger downhill street, you can see historial from there. This hotel is good, good food, speaks English.

Ramparts Hotel, past other side of main square had no English but food superb. Try ficelle Picardie there, sort of hammy cheesy but that does not do it justice

Peronne is a better place to stay than dreary Albert.

Thanks Paul for the reaffirmation of the location of the photo. I will let you all know when i go in May and hopefully, thanks to you, Terry and Aurel, I will be able to post a 'now' photo to accompany the 'then' one.

As for the food, Im not partial to 'english food' abroad so hopefully will try your recommendations, i much prefer the food of the country. During my last visit in 2002 , when I stayed in Lille, the food was worse that awful, they tried to satisfy an engish pallette which was the worse thing they could have done so heres hoping Peronne will satisfy the taste buds, however being a veggie in France doesnt help!!!

Lindsey

Lindsey

This photo was taken two years ago and shows the same corner of the square

Mike

post-12-1095523901.jpg

Mike

Well what can I say! Somewhat different, modern, but still recognisable as the place my Grandfather marched through, so proudly.

Thank you for the photo, and what I look forward to the most when I visit Peronne in May05 is to tread the footsteps my Grandfather made on that day the photo was taken and try and feel what he may have felt.

Lindsey

Mike

With my eyes shut of course!!!

Lindsey