Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Promotion from the ranks

Hambo

I am interested to know whether any one knows when the practice of promoting soldiers from the ranks began, particularly with reference to the New Army. I imagine that before the war it simply didn't happen and the losses on the Somme were the catalyst?

From memory some of the Public Schools battalions were broken up for officer training at some stage.

How were they selected? was it on recommendation?

When they were selected, how long did the training last before they returned to the front?

Were they always posted to another battalion or regiment as a matter of course?

And finally how high up the ranks could they realistically get?

I know it's a lot of questions for a Sunday night but any answers would be appreciated

Thanks Hambo

Promotion from the ranks did occur fairly regularly before the War. There are some well known examples of other ranks reaching high rank during the 19th Century. One private soldier, whose name escapes me, made it to Field Marshal. I believe the wholesale commissioning of experienced NCOs started as early as 1914. I think it was Bruce Barnsfather who wrote about this in one of his books. I'll try to find the reference when I get a chance. Soldiers were normally sent to other battalions/regiments, but not always. 'Researching British Military Medals' by Steve Dymond shows a case of a soldier being commissioned in his own battalion (1st Royal Irish Fusliers)

Regards

Gavin

This is tue, but soldiers [WOs and SNCOs] commissioned from the ranks in the first few months of the war were needed IMMEDIATELY to fill gaping holes in their own battalion. Because many proved to be pearls beyond price, they never moved, except perhaps to another battalion in the same regiment. And these commissions were REGULAR commissions, highly desirable, and as scarce as hen's teeth. One RWF case encountered is where a sergeant turned down a battlefield commission because he feared leaving his unit. He later actually struck a bargain with his CO which is recorded in his personal file. He served out the war as a Captain in his own regiment, with his coveted regular commission.

According to the chapter on 'Officers' in Beckett and Simpson's Nation in Arms, around 2% of the commissions made annually were from the ranks.

Of the 1800 men on the 1914 Star medal roll of 2nd Manchesters, a regular battalion that went to war in 5th Division in the orginal BEF, 9 Sergeants and 2 Privates were listed as 'discharged to commission'. Would be interesting to know how this compares with 1) other regular battalions and 2) territorial / service battalions.

Cheers

Although pre-dating WW1 by a few years Richard Holmes in his book "Redcoat" says in 1756 alone 4 NCO's were commissioned into the 56th Foot. He goes on to give other examples. The commissioning of men from the ranks was far more common than is usually thought.

And of course there was Richard Sharpe!

Roger

I would think that after 1st ypres and things settled down it would have become apparant that companies could not be run long term by senior or even middle nco's and thus the greates pool that the army had was these experienced men. I would guess, and it is just that, that there was an up turn in promotion from the ranks in early 1915. Also there would have been many 'suitable' candidiates that rushed to the colours in aug 1914 that could have been promoted from the new army.

regards

Arm.

Of the 1800 men on the 1914 Star medal roll of 2nd Manchesters, a regular battalion that went to war in 5th Division in the orginal BEF, 9 Sergeants and 2 Privates were listed as 'discharged to commission'. Would be interesting to know how this compares with 1) other regular battalions and 2) territorial / service battalions.

1RWF sixteen men all ranks from RSM to Pte., 2RWF twenty five, all from 1914 star roll. The lower number in 1RWF may stem from the huge losses of NCOs killed, wounded or POW, in two actions in October 1914, thus depriving men of the opportunity for promotion.

Interestingly, 2RWF were one of the few [excluding Guards] units who went to France in 1914 with the correct number of subalterns. Most battalions were using some SNCOs to command platoons even as they stepped ashore.

Similar story for the Battalions of the Dorset Regt:

Of 1991 men on the 1914 star roll 19 were commissioned, being 1%, with ranks ranging from Ptes to the SM.

Of 3741 men on the 1914-15 star roll 58 were commissioned, being 1.55%. This does not of course include those who transferred and were then commissioned, as they would appear on a different medal roll.

This would appear to confirm that the old BEF just weren't around long enough to make up the numbers as the New Army men were.

Regards

Steve

Promotion from the ranks certainly was possible before WW1, as another poster has pointed out, the CIGS, Robertson was promoted all the way from Trooper to Field Marshall.

I would imagine the main constraints on promotion from the ranks were not the more obvious ones, such as the attitude of fellow officers or even time - did it not take something like 12-14 years to reach even W/O in the peacetime army ? - but more the sheer financial burden of being an Officer in the British Army. I believe I read recently, that a cavalry officer before the war, would be expected to spend around £600 p.a. on mess bills, saddlery & hunting etc, whilst earning around £150 p.a. Obviously this is quite an extreme example, but even in an infantry regiment, an Officer's expenses would often be more than their salary. Some form of private income would certainly be of great help, obviously this was unlikely to be available to men who enlisted as Privates. I may be wrong, but I think the exception to this was the Indian Army, where the ratio of pay to expenses was far more favourable, which made it a much more popular posting amongst officer cadets of a "lower" social standing.

On the subject of Robertson, I think one of the reasons that he was even able to accept a commission, was that his fellow senior NCOs at the time held a whip round to pay for his saddlery.