Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool WW1 events

ALCTay

I'm hoping to organise a WW1 heritage day in Liverpool next summer as part of the St James Memorial Project. I will be putting a bid in for the HLF funding to cover costs.

The aims of the day would be

• to share information about Liverpool's WW1 heritage,
  • show people how they can research their own family's WW1 heritage and
  • raise awareness and interest in other Liverpool WW1 centenary events

I'd like to do this via

• displays of artefacts
  • talks
  • research 'help desk'
  • men in period uniform
  • local researchers and enthusiasts who would volunteer to chat to visitors

The event would be next Summer (and possibly an annual event throughout the 1914-1919 commemorations) if I can find a day that doesn't clash with other events or it could possibly be run in conjunction with other events if you know of any similar plans.

At the moment I'm looking for people to join me and suggestions as to who we could invite to take part in the event - I'm thinking groups who have replica uniforms, people and resources from the museum and archive as well as you people out there with personal collections or research that you would like to share etc

I've already posted on the Liverpool FHS forum and have emailed the museum and Merseyside WFA.

Please let me know what you think about the idea, I've not done this before so I may have missed something very obvious to you :)

Amanda

Might be an idea to check if there is a local coordinating group for FWW events 14-18. If there isn't why not form one? It is the best way to ensure coverage and possible clashes and duplication of effort. Several cities have them now.

Good luck!

Mike

If looking for living history groups i'd start looking quickly - most groups will be pretty much fully booked up for 2014 by now (one i'm in has bookings going through to 2018...)

Might be an idea to check if there is a local coordinating group for FWW events 14-18. If there isn't why not form one? It is the best way to ensure coverage and possible clashes and duplication of effort. Several cities have them now.

Good luck!

Mike

thanks Mike, I've got in touch with the local authority events department, just waiting for a reply. The museum seem to be taking notes of what's going on but not actually coordinating anything so it's a possibility!

If looking for living history groups i'd start looking quickly - most groups will be pretty much fully booked up for 2014 by now (one i'm in has bookings going through to 2018...)

To be honest RobL that's a bit more ambitious than I was aiming for and I'd assumed I'd be too late for them anyway. I've roped in a few people from local history groups who have uniforms and am looking to rent some for a few others. Maybe I'll look at more ambitions plans for a 2019 event :)

Thanks for the input :)

Amanda,

I don't think there is a Liverpool co-ordinating group; I may be wrong because I have been slightly (but not totally) out of the loop through illness since the New Year. Various events are coming up, though. The Museum of Liverpool runs family history days which normally attract a large number of the local 'experts' and I think there is on scheduled for the early autumn of 2013. The point of contact is the Museum of Liverpool and the curator with responsibility for the King's Regiment collection although recent events have been no means confined to King's Liverpool Regiment interest. I assume that this is with whom you made contact, otherwise I suspect that e-mails could go flying round National Museums Liverpool looking for a roost!

I think that it is important that whatever is planned does not ignore any particular aspects of Liverpool's WW1 military heritage, Regular, Territorial, Kitchener's Armies (and not just the four Pals battalions), and conscripts. It should include expertise on all arms (at least all major arms) in addition to the infantry, ie artillery, engineers, RAMC and ASC and should probably take in the Wirral as well.

Ian

Hi Ian, yes I'm in touch with the curator of the KLR collection.

I certainly don't have enough knowledge, experience or contacts to even attempt coordinating something of the scale that is required for Liverpool, I probably didn't make it clear with my thread title but I was inquiring about Liverpool events rather than suggesting I am organising one on a city-wide scale! I agree that some sort of co-ordinating group with all the relevant expertise would be very useful, I'd assumed that there would be one involving the Merseyside WFA, the Museums and Galleries, the Local Authority etc

Maybe we could make a start on here and post any events that we know a bout.

Amanda

• 5 months later...

As an update to all the above, we have now created the Liverpool First World War Research Committee, a voluntary organisation created to coordinate the gathering and sharing of information amongst the First World War research community in Liverpool and the North West.

We are currently trying to recruit members (all free and no obligation!) and are working with the Museum of Liverpool and various local groups to try and get some coordination organised for the centenary events.

Please visit the website or our facebook page to find out how you can join or contribute information

Amanda

As in many towns, the local prison made its contribution by housing conscientious objectors. One notable inmate of Walton Prison was Fenner Brockway, who founded and edited the Walton Leader, circulating among COs by the one copy being posted each week behind the cistern of a certain bog. The governor requested the MO to investigate the food supplied on Wednesdays to account for the queue for the bog every Thursday morning. Eventually, Fenner was found out, and disciplined, leading to a 10-day prison strike by COs, which was quelled by Fenner being moved to Lincoln Prison and others elsewhere.

Can I put a word in for the Chinese? Liverpool was the major dock for transports of Chinese Labour Corps personnel en route to the Western Front (China -> Vancouver -> across Canada by train -> Halifax -> Liverpool). Several arrived sick and were treated locally (1st Western Hospital at Fazerkeley, Belmot Road Hospital, Port Sanitary Hospital at New Ferry) and the remains of those who died there lie in Anfield Cemetery.

Thank you for the link. The entry contains many errors. Here, for example, are the details of the graves, from my own database:

xvii.c.92 Fan Ch‘uan Sheng: 范全 Fàn Quánshēng of 武定府[]化縣城南皮店大武莊 Wǔdìng Fǔ, [Zhān]huà Xiàn, chéng nán diàn dà Wǔzhuāng, Shandong. 70062. †25th January 1918, aged 30, 1st Western General (Fazakerley) Hospital, of acute diarrhoea. Buried in the same grave: Chong Chang of Hong Kong. Cook, hms Ajax, †28th December 1917, aged 56 (TNA: BT 338/73/7: †21st December 1917 at sea); Yue Wai, Wai Yer, †5th January, of beriberi, aged 23.

xvii.c.93 Sun Chen Sheng. 34559. †3rd September 1917, Belmont Road Hospital, of dysentery and syncope, aged 22. From ss Justicia transatlantic contingent. Buried in the same grave: Ng Chap, †27th September, Victoria Dock, Birkenhead, aged 30; Lee Chen, Lee Chew, †27th October, aged 55; John Homan, †19th December, aged 49.

xvii.c.240 Kuo Te Hsiang 郭德祥 Guō Déxiáng of 臨胊縣東北八里 Línqú Xiàn dōngběi xián fù lóu, Shandong. 134274. From ss Empress of Russia, arr. Liverpool, 1st July. †6th July 1918, Belmont Road Hospital, of rheumatic fever.

xvii.c.241 Kuo Ch‘ing Shan. 7473. †6th June 1917, Port Sanitary Hospital, of pulmonary tuberculosis, aged 26. Buried in the same grave: Chong Sow, 22nd May, aged 30; Ah Kee, 20th June, aged 27.

xvii.c.279 Liu Feng Hsiang: 劉鳳祥 Liú Fèngxiáng of 安邱縣西南鄭家河 Ānqiū Xiàn xīnán Zhèngjiā, Shandong. 131474. †9th August 1918, Belmont Auxiliary Hospital, of gastritis.

Great story about Fenner Brockway, never heard that before, anymore on him.

Ant

Fenner Brockway was the prime mover in the foundation of the No-Conscription Fellowship. He was editor of the Labour Leader, the paper of the Independent Labour Party, and, at the suggestion of his wife, Lilla, he published a letter on 12 November 1914 inviting men of military age who would refuse call-up, should it be implemented, to contact him. Thus began the N-CF. As a conscientious objector he spent some three years in prison in WW1

He served as MP 1929-31 and 1950-64, and then as a life peer until his death in 1988, six months short of his 100th birthday..

A great man but no relation ... As far as my branch of the family have been able to ascertain ;-)

Thanks for all the information - for some reason I didn't get notifications of your posts so I wasn't ignoring anyone!

Some great ideas for subjects - what can we do to get them included in the centenary plans? At the moment there isn't any central coordination (or funding) so it's up to community groups and individuals to plan events, find funding and get community support... not an easy task!

Can I put a word in for the Chinese? Liverpool was the major dock for transports of Chinese Labour Corps personnel en route to the Western Front (China -> Vancouver -> across Canada by train -> Halifax -> Liverpool). Several arrived sick and were treated locally (1st Western Hospital at Fazerkeley, Belmot Road Hospital, Port Sanitary Hospital at New Ferry) and the remains of those who died there lie in Anfield Cemetery.

Gregory -

Funnily enough I've just (yesterday) requested tickets for a Liverpool Confucius Institute lecture about Chinese workers in the First World War. I'm also looking to get information to add to a 'Liverpool in the First World War' display and WW1 Family research event - if you have any suggestions as to what a Chinese section should include or can suggest someone to contact (or would like to contribute anything yourself) please pm me or use the contact details at the end of this post

As in many towns, the local prison made its contribution by housing conscientious objectors. One notable inmate of Walton Prison was Fenner Brockway, who founded and edited the Walton Leader, circulating among COs by the one copy being posted each week behind the cistern of a certain bog. The governor requested the MO to investigate the food supplied on Wednesdays to account for the queue for the bog every Thursday morning. Eventually, Fenner was found out, and disciplined, leading to a 10-day prison strike by COs, which was quelled by Fenner being moved to Lincoln Prison and others elsewhere.

Magnumbellum - another coincidence, I finished reading 'We Will Not Fight' by W. Ellsworth-Jones only yesterday! They certainly should be commemorated too - any ideas how that could be done?

If you're interested in contributing to a Liverpool Centenary event (ideas, info, resources, time, money... anything!) please check out our website www.liverpoolfwwresearchcommittee.co.uk or facebook page www.facebook.com/LFWWRC

Amanda