Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somerset Remembers

Somerset Remembers

Somerset Heritage Service has launched a project to mark the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War, following a grant of £66,500 from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF).

Drawing on this poignant moment in history, the 'Somerset Remembers' project will explore the impact and long-term effect of the conflict on the county, and look at the many ways in Somerset people, their families and communities have remembered the Great War.

'Somerset Remembers' will pay tribute to the sacrifice and contribution made by Somerset people both during and after WW1.The project will provide people today with opportunities to learn about the impact of the war on the county.

For more information about the project please visit:

www.somerset.gov.uk/somersetremembers

The Somerset Remembers Project Blog will provide regular updates and feature a range of First World War stories, archives and objects.

http://somersetremem...press.com/blog/

You might like to see my article on the Langford Budville roll of honour on Tom Morgan's Hellfire Corner web site

A very worthwhile project and one I will take an interest in. I've compiled a history of the Somerset Royal Horse Artillery who were based at Taunton, Shepton Mallet, Glastonbury/Street and Portishead. I hope to get it released soon but any addition snippets will be gratefully received. I've been lucky enough to get access to about 60 rare and unpublished photographs that add enormous depth to the story. There is still time for adding anything special that might turn up but it must be completed for next year.

Somerset Remembers

I think this is a wonderful project but can you answer the following question.

Can you tell me is this restricted to the current county of Somerset , or will it cover the old county of Somerset ( ie the areas of North Somerset & Banes)

Currently living in Keynsham, I just wonder if people like me living in the new unitary authorities will get a similiar service.

I have already supplied some information to the Glastonbury War Memorial project and coming from the Central Somerset area I am very interested in what you are doing.

Best wishes

Malcolm

Thanks for you response.

Somerset Remembers is being run by Somerset County Council Heritage Service. This means that the project will be primarily be focused on the area within the current county boundaries.

Can I just check - are you including Mendip - in particular Wells?

Thanks

Alan

Wells will be covered as part of the project along with other parishes in Mendip.

The area that will be primarily covered by Somerset Remembers consists of the five districts of Somerset – Mendip, Sedgemoor, South Somerset, Taunton Deane, and West Somerset.

Somerset Remembers

I thought that was going to be the response, obviously I am disappointed however I will visit the web site and hopefully find something that interests me.

Wells isn't that far to drive .

Best wishes with the project.

Malcolm

Somerset Remembers

Great News. Would love to volunteer with the digitisation but I work full time, is there anyway I can contribute during the evenings in the comfort of my own home?

R’ds

Sajackr

Sajackr,

Many thanks for your positive response.

There may well be a way of contributing to the volunteer projects. Further information about the volunteer projects and details of how to contact Somerset Heritage Centre can be found here:

www.somerset.gov.uk/somersetremembers

An online platform is going to be created as part of Somerset Remembers. This will enable researchers, individuals, community groups and schools to share First World War stories and collections relating to Somerset.

In the meantime it would be great if members of this excellent forum could follow the project blog and comment on the posts..

http://somersetremembers.wordpress.com/blog/

Many thanks, I will contact them direct. It would seem a shame to waste my interest and enthusiasm because I can not get to Taunton during the working week.

R’ds

Sajackr

• 2 weeks later...