Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorkshire Trench

Mark Hone

I totally failed to find the site of the new Yorkshire preserved trench when touring the area by bike the other day, despite the Ieper tourist board helpfully marking the position on my Holts' Map. The location where I thought it was, and which I visited during the Diggers' excavation, had been completely bulldozed over. When does it officially open and where exactly is it?

Mark,

I hope you will be able to follow my directions :huh: I will start as if you are in the town square of Ypres.

1. Drive from the town square towards the Menin Gate, following the one way system.

2. Once at the X roads (with the Menin Gate on your right) continue straight on over the X roads.

3. Continue down this road, go straight over the mini roundabout, continue straight on until you come to a

large crossroads with traffic lights (Get into the V. small left slip lane). Turn left at the X roads.

4. After turning left continue straight on this road for a short distance. You will pass a left turn sign posted

towards Ypres Centrum. Continue past this junction. The road bends sharply to the right followed by a left

bend. As you negotiate the left bend, on your right side you will see the end of the Yser Canal. There is a

right turn here, turn right to position yourself on the Canal road with the canal on your left side.

5. Continue along the canal road for some time, passing under the highway bridge. Continue for a couple of

Kms. You are looking for a right turn along this road. To identify the correct one to take, look for a glass

fronted building on with a number of European flags flying from the front. This building is right on the

junction. Turn right here onto Bargie Straat.

6. Follow this road for about 200m (On your left side is a mushroom factory). The road sharply bends around

to the left (90 degrees). Follow the bend, continue straight on for about 300m. On your left side you will

see a large hangar/warehouse building. ( The FIRST building you come to on your left side.) Stop about

here, the Yorkshire trench is on the left side, to the front left of the warehouse (as you look at it).

Hope you can follow the directions.

Iain McHenry

Mark,

Sorry I didn't notice your question until now, 2 days later. And thanks, Iain, for taking over and giving Mark the directions to find us. (Kind of amusing that someone gives them from far away in Kosovo while I myself, living close to it, fails to do so !)

Iain was pretty accurate indeed. In a nutshell : find the beginning of the canal ("Ieperleekanaal", north side of the town of Ypres). Keep on the right (= east) bank for 3 km (2 miles). Turn right into the "Bargiestraat", and follow it until you see a blue workmen's cabin. Behind it is the trench. For those who have already visited us : it is near the entrances of the deep dug-out.

Today we added another 350 sandbags to the 4000 already in place. Tomorrow (Saturday afternoon) we'll be starting the parapet. A lot more work has to be done before the opening on Sunday 25 May, and we hope to get all done by then. Sorry that I haven't found the time yet to add an article about this restoration project on our website www.diggers.be , but I'll do something about this as soon as I can.

Just a warning if you plan to visit us on a Friday or Saturday afternoon : we might put a shovel or a wheelbarrow in your hands, or swing a sandbag on your shoulder... ;-)

Aurel Sercu

The Diggers

I have recently been doing some research for a friends Grandfather who served in the 1/5th Battalion West Yorkshire regiment, part of 146th brigade. This started with the find of some old medals in a kichen drawer.

The person in question was Harry Walker (although listed in SDGW as Henry). He was killed KIA on the Somme 15th July 1916 whilst defending against a bombing attack in the Leipzig salient.

As a result of the research, my friend is wanting to visit the Western Front , and the the areas where his grandfather served.

I believe Harry Walker served in the areas around Boesinghne, can anyone tell me where he served around the area in 1915 and what happened during that time?

Would Harry Walker actually have served in Yorkshire Trench?

I think I would be fantastic if I found out he did serve in this trench. The grandchildren could actually visit and experience a real trench where their Grandfather served and defended.

Happy Easter,

James

I read in the newspaper today that Yorkshire Trench is from 1916 or 1917, because 'the Diggers' want to excavate another trench in that area from one year before Yorkshire Trench. I'm sure Aurel can give more info?

Jan

The person in question was Harry Walker (although listed in SDGW as Henry). He was killed KIA on the Somme 15th July 1916 whilst defending against a bombing attack in the Leipzig salient.... Would Harry Walker actually have served in Yorkshire Trench?

Hi James,

His number on SWD is shown as 1737 which almost certainly indicates he came overseas with the original draft of 1/5 West Yorks; so yes, he would have served in the Boesinghe sector. If he wasn't in Yorkshire Trench (which I must say I thought WAS from 1915), then he would have been in the line opposite Fortuin 17; the German strongpoint which the Diggers also worked on and which is still there - although flooded.

Hi James,

Whether Harry Walker (1/5th West Yorhshire, 146th Brigade, 49th (West Riding) Division) served in the Boezinge sector and more specifically in the Yorkshire Trench ?

The Division was in the area from beginning July till end December 1915. The activities of the 1/5th and other bns. West Yorkshire Rgt. are described in E. Wyrall, The West Yorkshire Regiment, vol. 1, and indirectly in E. Tempest, History of the 6th Bn. West Yorkshire Regiment.

Was the 1/5WYR on the Boezinge Canal site which we (the Diggers) have explored for the past 4-5 years ? I have had a (second) look at this regimental and battalion history again (I have no war diaries), and it seems to me that that 1/5WYR most of the time was 2 km more to the southeast (area Turco Farm and Moorteltje). It was the Duke of Wellington, KOYLI and Y&L bns that were more west, nearer to the Canal. However there were times in this period that the WYR bns. were on the extreme left (Canal).

If so, where they in or near the Yorkshire Trench ? The Yorkshire Trench part which we have been restoring for the past months, dates from 1916, when in February the British line withdrew 200 yards. The very first time it is found on a trench map, on the exact same location as it is now, is 9 September 1916, and it is in this same period that the name "Yorkshire Trench" seems to be used for the first time (war diary 123st Field Co).

So strictly spoken, the Yorkshire Trench did not exist yet in 1915, though there was a trench just a few yards east parallel to it. (Actually we followed the course of this trench too, and it is being marked at the surface near the Yorkshire Trench. (By the way : it will not be excavated in the future, as, which Jan wrote, was mentioned in an article in a Flemish paper, but this article contained other inaccuracies as well.)

Aurel Sercu

Thanks for the replies with ref to the 1/5th battalion West Yorks.

Many thanks to Aurel especially for the indepth answer I received.

I am going to speak to my friend and recommend he visit the trench with his family when he visits the Ypres area and advise him of the details of where the battalion served.

All the best.

Cooper

Have just come back from Ypres and failed to find the Yorkshire trench, have a feeling a I was completely in the wrong area.. as in north of the menin gate... followed Iain's directions,, but still failed miserably.. can you put me out of my misery. Take it is was nowhere near Boezinge.

John

Hi John,

Sorry you didn't find us...

As to the directions : I can only repeat what I described in this thread on April 18. Iain gave precise directions starting from the centre of Ypres, but in a nutshell : (and these are the directions I always give to people who want to visit us, and I can say they always find us with no problem at all)

- Start from the beginning of the Canal (name : "Ieperleekanaal"). This is the north side of Ypres.

- Keep on the right bank (= east bank). Name of the street : "Oostkaai".

- Continue for 3 km (2 miles), passing under a highway bridge, etc.

- After 3 km turn right, into the "Bargiestraat". On the corner a building with a few flags in front of it. (I would not advise you to turn left, for being on the right bank of the canal you know where you will end up ... ;-)

- The "Bargiestraat" begins as a short street (200 m) but at the end : turn left, which is the "Bargiestraat" as well. After another 200 m, there is a blue workmen's cabin. Behind it : the Yorkshire Trench.

Should you intend to come this afternoon (Saturday 26/4) : don't ! For as we won't be there, you won't be able to lend us a hand ... Contrary to all preceding Saturday afternoons : no activity this afternoon. Rainfall has discovered Flanders again after many weeks. So : no way to fill cement sandbags. Yet, we only had some 150 to go, of a total of 5,000.

I'll try to keep you informed on our website as soon as I can. I just can't find the time to add an article about this restoration project.

Aurel Sercu

www.diggers.be

Aurel

Thanks for that will print it off and use it next time I am about there...(came home yesterday).

I was on the wrong side of the canal anyway.. went to Boezinge and down to Essex Farm then realised I was all wrong. Never mind theres always another day.

I spent the rest of my time finding some of the execution sites around Dikkebus as I am in contact with Julian Putkowski on those shot at dawn.. so I was gainfully employed. So thanks for time appreciated..

I was a bit of a no hoper when it took me ages to find the Shell Hole....! :rolleyes:

Thanks again will keep my eyes peeled on the diggers site and any call for Staurday helpers!!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I returned from the Salient yesterday having spent 3 nights staying at Toc H in Pop. Digital photos to follow via Chris Baker. There are developments at Toc H which I will add as a new topic - much upset at what is proposed.

Regarding Yorkshire Trench, the sandbagging seems to be nearly complete, with surface pathwork still to be done. We found it by following the instructions posted on this topic. Explicit and easy to follow. Jacques Rykebosch at Toc H had heard that someone had stumbled on remains of a trench nearby called 'Cactus Trench'. Any ideas?

Otherwise, I will post up items of news folk may be interested in in their proper place, this weekend. The high point for me was being included in the formal wreath laying at the Menen Gate on Tue 6 May at 2000 hrs, to honour my great Uncle who went missing that evening 88 years ago. Moving beyond that which mere words can convey.

Kerry

Kerry

I was at the Gate on Tuesday and saw the ceremony. Very moving.

I was also at Yorkshire Trench that morning. Were you there then? I was guiding a small group of idiot cyclists around the Salient (I must have done something bad in a former life!)

Kerry,

I suppose it is rather urgent to have some kind of reference to be identified as a 'Baker Pal'. In fact I was the lad in charge at the Menin Gate that night.

Concerning 'Talbot House' I started a thread about it some time ago it can be found under 'Chit Chat'. Would like very much your opinion and naturally from the other 'Pals'.

Jacky

Kerry,

You might also like to see the recent article on the changes at Talbot House on the WFA website.

Bob.

Jacky,

my sincere apologies for not knowing who you were - tall with specs, blazer? Were you the gentleman who kindly allowed me to march across and back in civvies?

Also, it was our uderstanding (I was conducting a small party tour) that it was only on Sundays that the Fire Brigade turns out in Full Dress Uniform, and that on weekdays it is just two chaps in civvies, yet Tuesday was the full nine yards. Has protocol changed?

Also, Martin Middlebrook was there and comment ed on my footdrill and asked if I was Light Infantry - he was crestfallen when i replied 'No - RAF College Cranwell' but the RAF drill instructors are themselves Pirbright-trained!

I will look up the WFA thread and try to follow, regarding changes at Toc H.

Kerry

Kerry,

Hmmm. gentleman ????. Indeed if you would have said the good looking lad in blazer :-). Always a pleasure to allow people to lay a wreath especially on such a special occasion as yours.

As far as the Fire Brigade they are always in Full Dress when a extended Ceremony is planned.

Hope to see you again in a near future.

Jacky

Jacky/Aurel

Yorkshire Trench looks very fine. Am I right in assuming that it is a permanent feature with the owner of the ground allowing it to remain for a decent period of time. I also presume that it is in exactly the position that the original trench was ?

A magnificent effort from all concerned. I am sure everyone of us in UK sends their thanks.

Thanks also due for Jacky's continuing contribution to making the Last Post ceremony so moving - good to know that this ceremony - which is surely unique in the world - has such a fantastic friend and custodian who we are proud to include in the "Pals" . Is it any wonder that we all can feel so at home in Ypres with friends such as Jacky, Aurel and indeed Charlotte there.

Regards Ian

Ian,

"Permanent feature" ? After all the hard work we have put in it since last August (all our Saturday afternoons and most of our Friday afternoons, even at the risk of 'trench feet' in winter ? What do you think ? ;) Well, "permanent" is a long word, I know, but we would be very disappointed if it would only be there for 5 or 6 generations. ;) again.

The owner of the ground is ... the City of Ypres. After it was sold to developers some 3 years ago, Ypres bought the plot (approx. 30 x 50 meters) back last year.

And yes : exactly the same position. To the centimeter. We even used most of the original A frames, the lower half, which had not decayed, and which are still there (invisible of course below the (renovated) trenchboards).

Yesterday the last of a series of 5,000 sandbags were put in position. Today (Saturday) an extra protective layer of wet cement. Next Friday : trench boards. We are working as hard as we can, for the opening is Sunday 25 May. A lot of work still has to be done. E.g. the information panels (texts are ready, tranlation in English, French and German too.) And the markings at the surface of the dug-out 10 meters below. (The dug-out itself will not be accessible, as it is flooded 365 days a year.)

The Yorkshire Trench & Dug-Out Site may not 100 percent be finished the day of the opening, but we can ask the the guests and people present not to be dressed in their Sunday best, for they could lend us a hand. For the finishing touch. (No, I won't add another emoticon. It seems I have reached my maximum...)

Aurel Sercu

(Diggers)

For those who arent at the opening.. if anyone is going to be there who could take a picture and post it here it would be great... plus I might actually get to work out where it is and finally get there myself... :lol:

John

John,

OK.

I "think" I will be there, and take some photos.

And I'll make sure there is an article about the Yorkshire Trench & Dug-Out Site on our website shortly after.

And if ever you try to find it : on the right (east bank) of the canal, turn right near a very large metal chimney. And if you can't see the chimney, unfortunately you will smell it. If the wind is from a "favourable" direction that is. As favourable as it was on 22 April 1915. But now it won't be chlorine gas. Unpleasant again now, but not lethal...

Aurel

Hi Jacky:

For about a year now I've been listing to a .ram file of the last post from the Menin Gate when my computer shuts down. There's a chance it could be you I'm listening to.

Would you be good enough to answer a couple of questions:

1) Do you still use the two silver trumpets that were a gift from an officer of the Royal Canadian Artillery?

2) I've heard a fund has been started in Vancouver, Canada to supplement your group. Do you have any information on this fund? I'd like to make a donation.

With a little luck and my wife's agreement, I'll hear you live next year. Thanks for remembering.

Garth

Mordac

I was at the Menin Gate a few weeks ago and used my DV camera to tape the whole proceedings... would it be any use to you?

John