Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID please

5thBatt

This has been in my family for as long as i can remember & (waffle waffle) up untill 36 years ago (when we lived in England) Mum used to keep old English pennies in it, since then, my brother had it untill i swapped an Apollo 11 space pen for it :)

I have never researched it & really know nothing about it other than it's Trench art made up from a fuse & a shell casing.

shell1i.jpg

shell3.jpg

shell2.jpg

shell4.jpg

The Dopp Z96 is a double effect fuze with a revolving discs time system and also a percussion system. Again this was a very common fuze being equipped on shells of 77mm FK96 n/A and FK16 field guns. It was used without modification on shrapnel shells, or added with a detonator in the case of explosive shells. Its static disc was graduated from 0 to 50, for an ignition after a flight from 0 to 5000 meters (the n/A marks were successively graduated up to 5350, 7150, 6500 and 7000 meters), and the mobile disc was engraved with the index. The concutor (for the ignition of the time system) was located in the axis of the head, and the percussion system (for an occasional function at the impact time) in the tail. The oldest models were equipped, at rest, with a safety pin. The newer ones (n/A) had no safety pin.

While the fuze is German, the shell case is French, 75 DE C (de campagne) being the famous French quick-firing 75mm field gun. The data at the bottom identify the manufacturer of the case, the lot number and the year of manufacture (1914). The stamp of an anchor and TLn identifies the munitions factory that filled the case. I suspect in this instance that it is the naval arsenal at Toulon.