Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Gloucesters

reeves_colin

Can someone please supply me with a copy of the War Diary of the 1/6th Gloucesters for the period upto and including August 1916?

I am particularly intererested in any reference to

PVT Henry George Sheppard

5083, 1st/6th Bn., Gloucestershire Regiment who died on 27 August 1916 Age 25

He is buried in

Puchevillers British Cemetery

Thanks in advance

Colin

George seems to have first landed in a war zone during 1916,as his MIC has no 1914-15 Star entitlement.1/6 first landed in Boulogne on 30 Mar 1915 and by May was with 144 Brigade of 48 Division in France,so he was in a replacement draft for casualties taken. No service record seems to have survived the attentions of the Luftwaffe in 1940.

The War Diary reference at Kew is WO95/2758/2,so your interest in your subject is for an undefined period during 1916 and ending on 27 August 1916. The Diary is not yet digital and needs to be read at Kew,unless someone here has what you need.

Your expectations of him being named in the Diary may be optimistic as it is not a common occurrence to see ORs named,but you never know,there might be draft lists where you might see when he arrived,or casualty lists,where you might see his fate. There will be general details of casualties on a given day,but ordinarily lumped as numbers of each category.

I may get time to look at the Diary this week.

1/6th is not one of the battalions I have the diary for but I can have a look at the diary held at the Regimental

museum later in the week.

Colin

I have four pages from the 1/6 Gloucesters WD around the 1916 date you posted. The unit was in trenches to the E of Auchonvillers.I need an e-mail by PM to send them. I also looked back through for dates of reinforcements. There are no lists present,just numbers of soldiers arrived,all ORs:

Feb 20th:119. March 19th:17 and 21st:50. April 8th:28, 19th:21 and 29th:34.

Jul 24:129.

I too took 4 page images from this diary last week, largely those giving names as I was trying to identify officers mentioned in a personal diary by Maj Reginald Pridmore RFA.

At the end of July I found a resume of casualties for July. Names of OR killed are not given. Figures for July 1916 are

O.R. Killed 15, Missing believed killed 62, wounded 296, died of wounds 5.

However, in the text for 24 June 1916, there is one OR Private Fisher of "A" Co. named as killed in the day to day diary. And a lance Corporal Birkett the next day.

So it would be worth your looking. As the Somme battle increased the casualties this may not be so in July and August.

Sorry I wont now be in the Kew area for a while.

If you have a relative serving, it is well worth trying to get to Kew yourself to read the whole diary for 1916. It is very interesting as background, and you can get your own page images. As it ends up being a lot of images.

• 8 months later...

Hi

Sorry to come back to this one, but I am now looking for the War diary entry for the 1st/6th for the end of july 1916. Particularly from just before the 24th July to 31st July, as I also believe that Henry Sheppard would have been one of the replacements on 24th. I am not expecting to see his name, I am just trying to create his personal diary for the month that he spent with the Battalion. He died on the 27th August 1916.

Thanks in advance

Colin