Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Young Officers Company

JulianB

In a letter I have, is the abbreviation YOC, probably in relation to a training battalion. I had been puzzling this one for a while but I then came across, elsewhere & by accident, mention of a Young Officers Company.

could anyone enlighten me as to what this was,

thanks

Julian

Younf Officers Companies were formed by TF and New Army training brigades during winter 1914-15 to provide training for newly commissioned officers. They were superseded by the Office Cadet bns in spring 1916.

Charles M

Thanks Charles,

I should have mentioned that the letter is referring to an officer commissioned in August 1915 into the 16th Bn KLR, which I think was a training battalion (he went overseas in July 1916, & KIA August, the letter was written by his brother in Sept '16 referring back to ?1915.)

So, yes, it makes sense.

In battalions like these, was the YOC FULL of such officers or was it a normal Coy with ORs as guinea pigs for them !? How many YOCs would there be per bn.

thanks

J

Julian

Strengths varied from 30-100 officers, with no ORs at act as guinea pigs. The course was usually six weeks, allthough sometimes the YOs remained longer with the coys.

Charles M