Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5 Brothers

jimhada

Hello all, wonder if anyone here can shed some light on this picture.

My great grandad is in this picture with his 4 brothers circa. WW I, but I dont know which one.

Maybe if someone could identify the uniforms, it might help me in my search.

They would have been recruited in Dundee, Scotland.

Names are William, John, George and James Rourke.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

post-99003-0-53183900-1369858637_thumb.j

Hi Jim,

The left hand standing is in the Canadian Army and right hand standing looks like Gordon Highlanders. Left hand seated could be KOSB, centre is civilian!! and right hand seated looks like Royal Scots Fusiliers.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Thanks for that!

I didnt want to state the obvious the centre one (Joseph) was civilian. He was too old supposedly.

The Canadian connection is interesting, as I have found out at least one of the brothers moved to Canada.

Their father was in the Royal Scots Fusiliers, so its no surprise to find at least one in that regiment.

Thanks again.

Hi Jim,

Canadian Army attestation papers are a available via Library & Archives Canada (LAC) website or Ancestry. You get to see the first page for free but can order the full file from Canada for a fee.

I'm sure if you post a name here a member will look up the Canadian connection.

Once you have confirmation of the CEF Battalion you can go on Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group (CEFSG) website - similar to GWF - I found members very helpful.

Sorry can't help re Scots Regiments.

Regards

Steve Y

Thanks,

James Rourke born ~1881 Aberdeen, Scotland, moved to Canada at some point, died 1950 in Vancouver.

Would it be right in assuming, that if he fought in the Canadian Army, that he moved to Canada prior to 1914. I mean, someone living in Scotland could not join the Canadian Army?

As to the brothers,

William Rourke born ~1873

John Rourke (great grandfather) born 1876

George Alma Rourke born ~1879. The Alma connection no doubt comes from his father possibly being in Crimean War, though he would have been very young.

I have tried Ancestry.com though have not had much luck tracing anyone, obviously my great grandfather survived, else I would not be here today.

I cant find trace of William or George after this period, but that could possibly be partly due to my still being quite new to tracing the family line.

Perhaps more than one brother moved abroad, or died.

Thanks again for all your time. I really appreciate it.

Jim

A quick search on the Library & Archives Canada site reveal four CEF soldiers whose first name is James and two whose middle name is James. None is a match to your relative although one of these was born in Scotland (Sterling, in 1890). As pointed out above, there is little question that the soldier standing on the left is in a Canadian uniform - the 7-button tunic and obvious Maple Leaf badge leave little doubt. If you had a service number you may uncover more information.