Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A medal group to highlight today

David_Bluestein

Lovely stuff David. Nowadays we so seldom see groups which include all the extras. Trios and pairs can still be found, and we usually count ourselves very lucky if there happens to be a memorial cross or plaque with them. If both are there it is a rare event indeed. To date I do not have a single group which includes the medals, plaque and memorial cross; the closest I have come are a couple of groups where the plaque was present and the fellows had not "qualified" for the cross because they were single and their mothers were already deceased.

Hello Terry,

Yes finding a trio with the mem. plaque & mem. cross (or 5 piece set together, as I like to call them) are hard to find these days. They are out there; I see them come up every now and again. I have six or seven 5 piece sets in my collection, one with a commemorative scroll.

At the risk of veering off topic can you give us an update on the latest arrival in the Bluestein family?

At the risk of veering off topic can you give us an update on the latest arrival in the Bluestein family?

Thanks Terry,

Baby Sarah is doing well; she is trying very hard to make sure mom and dad don't get much sleep at nights, but despite all, we are very happy to have her with us.

This is actually the first quiet moment I have had to check the forum at any length in over a week.

David

Good to here the little one is doing well. And a real nice group besides.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

DAVID

Donot let SARAH play with your medals.I think I used my great uncles MONS STAR as a sherifs badge for lpaying cowboys and indians with almost sixty years ago.I really wish I had the medal now.

CHEERS.

JOHN.

Last year a Canadian dealer had a lovely researched group consisting of a trio, plaque,memorial cross, cap and collar badges,etc., all framed, to the 28th Bn. for $900.00 (nearly 400 pounds).

David,

I often see threads of yours showing us your collection, and just wondered out of interset, if it was just Casualty groups that you mainly collect?

Ski

David,

Yes, I recalled you telling me you had acquired the 28th group, but thought I would leave it to you to let the Pals know. Glad to hear you were able to get fifty bucks knocked off the price!

Terry

Last year a Canadian dealer had a lovely researched group consisting of a trio, plaque,memorial cross, cap and collar badges,etc., all framed, to the 28th Bn. for $900.00 (nearly 400 pounds).

:o That's a very reasonable price in today's market.

David,

I often see threads of yours showing us your collection, and just wondered out of interset, if it was just Casualty groups that you mainly collect?

Ski

Hello Ski,

Yes that's correct. I only collect casualty medals. I do however have a few to surviving soldiers groups tucked away. Its not that I count their sacrifice less important, its just my preference...

Regards

David

That's fair enough David, i was just interested as i am also collector.

My collection is the opposite to yours though, i.e. mainly surviving groups with a few casualty(KIA) groups tucked away!

Cheers,

Ski