Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Great War (BBC)

Skipman

Found the whole series on archive.org.The programme is available elsewhere, but I think it's probably easier to download from this site, and can be saved to your hard drive.

The Great War

Mike

You are so good at finding these gems, Mike.

Thanks for this.

Maxi

Cheers Maxi. It's really not that difficult, just a case of typing a keyword and just have a rake about. archive.org rules ok :thumbsup:

Mike

Found the whole series on archive.org.The programme is available elsewhere, but I think it's probably easier to download from this site, and can be saved to your hard drive.

The Great War

Mike

Never thought of looking for this in the Internet Archive - many thanks for the pointer, my wife will no doubt be delighted.

Tim

Never thought of looking for this in the Internet Archive - many thanks for the pointer, my wife will no doubt be delighted.

Tim

I found it by accident really. That'll be the decorating put back a bit?

Mike

Mike

Cracking find.

I will register another wife that may be not too happy !!!

ian

Well done indeed! I seem to recall that when the series was first broadcast it was the first time I had owned a TV, a few years ago I bought a set of the cassettes at a WFA auction in aid of new memorial on the Somme.

Old Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a shed load of virus problems since downloading from here - is it just me ? Most problems seem to be centered around flash players for google chrome.

Interested in similar,

Tim

Thanks Mike - I use Chrome. I've never had problems with the archive before (pretty much my most visited site) and it might be that I just tried to download too much. Restored my laptop to pre-download this evening and it seems my issue was some bug disabling adobe flashplayer. Knowing it works ok for you was helpful in eliminating possible sources.

Speeding up gradually.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim. I have never had any problems downloading from archive.org, as far as I know. I use Firefox though? Also AVG

Mike

Tried IE 10 etc and it drove me equally bonkers as Chrome. Went back to Firefox (which I once used with success on my old Mac) and after downloading a Java update that previous browsers did not identify now works faster and smoother than before. Phew!!!

I've literally spent 3 days sorting this out; anyone with similar problems pm me and I'll give the whole frustrating history.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump the thread, but does anybody know if there are any plans afoot to re-release this on DVD for the centenary? It would make a fantastic gift for a friend of mine!

Sorry to bump the thread, but does anybody know if there are any plans afoot to re-release this on DVD for the centenary? It would make a fantastic gift for a friend of mine!

Don't know of any plans, (I reckon they will though)

I think you can download each video. Click on the " Cinepack " link, and save to windows media player. I imagine you can then burn it to DVD. It might take a while though, with 10 minute downloads, but you could design your own artwork etc?

Click

Mike

You can buy it for a lot of cash on a certain website that is also a rain forest.

I have noted on there some very cheeky s@ds. £30 for the daily mail edition that was given away free a few years back.

Hmm, I saw it for sale on aforementioned website but baulked at the price, as it is so expensive as you say.

Don't know of any plans, (I reckon they will though)

I think you can download each video. Click on the " Cinepack " link, and save to windows media player. I imagine you can then burn it to DVD. It might take a while though, with 10 minute downloads, but you could design your own artwork etc?

Click

Mike

That's a good idea - thanks. As soon as I get the internet put in to my new flat (it's been two months and counting!) I'll look into that option for sure.

Great find, an excellent alternative when wife is watching various soaps etc. Yes, i had problems viewing when using Google chrome, but worked no probs with internet Explorer.

AD

I have a set of DVDs which I got a number of years ago via amazon. It wasn't cheap but I don't think it was as expensive as they are at present.

A program was broadcast about the making of the series a few years ago (2002/2004?). One of the researchers said that they had much more material than they could fit into the programs. I've wondered since if the BBC or someone else still has it all.

I think it is a wonderful series. From the modern point of view its is a bit disappointing that the less famous interviewees who appear are not always identified.

Roger.

First time I've seen this - what year was it made? I've just watched the first episode through and there's some stunning footage; mostly generic scenes of European locations and state ceremonials, but oddly compulsive viewing, especially as the shots seem to run longer than the fashion of modern documentry style, with its restless chopping and cross-fading of images. I always find film of long-dead Edwardians going about their daily lives far stranger than film of the war itself.

A program was broadcast about the making of the series a few years ago (2002/2004?). One of the researchers said that they had much more material than they could fit into the programs. I've wondered since if the BBC or someone else still has it all.

Roger.

Yes, that was a good documentary, the bit I liked was when they said that the R.F.C ace Cecil Lewis, who was to be interviewed for the series,

arrived in his two seater sports car and then proceeded to chat up the female researcher. I would like to see his interview if it survives.

• 1 year later...

Episodes 1 and 2 are being shown on BBC4 tonight, starting at 7pm.

No further episodes are scheduled for weekdays but I assume that there will be two episodes each Sunday for the next twelve weeks.

Ron

One of the researchers said that they had much more material than they could fit into the programs. I've wondered since if the BBC or someone else still has it all.

I've spent much of the last year going through it all! There are voluminous files of correspondence before and after the interviews, sound and video recordings etc of a great many people whose contribution did not make it to the final edition. The material is mainly at the BBC's own archive although some is at IWM. Not sure where the tapes are - I have only been involved with the paperwork side.

It's available here on YouTube Click

Mike

I used Keepvid and downloaded the lot from youtube some time ago. Burnt them all to a few DVD`s. A series on the Great War which has never been bettered even after all these years.