Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VISIT WITH AN ELDER GENT!

KIRKY

;) Hi

I am taking my 80year old father to the Somme in October. He has never been there before althought I have been quite a few times and usually do longish walks etc.

My father but is not currently very mobile and as we are there for 4 days wonder if you have any ideas as to where I can take him. He can probalby walk 100yds to 200 yards. I know the usual spots : Newfoundland, Ulster Tower. Delville wood , Albert Museum. Any other suggestions please such as Arras tunnels, Perrone??

Also his food requirements are typically English! Where is best place to feed him?

Hope you cxan take a bit of the worry away from me and make his trip a great one!

tony

I took my father-in-law (86) a couple of years ago with the same problems.

He happily walked around Lochnagar Crater and to Y Ravine at Newfoundland Park. However, each person has their limitations and it does depend on the weather. You and he will have to be the judge of how far to go.

The museum at Peronne should not be a problem. If he is unstable on his pins then the tunnels at Arras may be dodgy - can be slippery and you go on a timed guided tour and so cannot take your time.

As far as eating goes, you can always get a huge omelette and chips anywhere.

:( Come on guys help me with this one I am desperate to make an old man happy!

tony

Tony, take him to Le Tommy Pozieres, don't tell him what's in the back, just walk him there.

Maybe you can just feed him burgers but a French restaurant is bound to have steak & frites, hope his choppers are good. Calypso 1 Longueval has simple sandwiches, ham, ham & cheese.

Thiepval is easy walk from parking, we have new visitor center.

Maybe he would like the chapel at the French cemetery at Rancourt, & so near there are British & German cemeteries.