Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UBIQUE badge/brooch on blue rosette

Tinto

Hi All,

I would be grateful for identification of this badge. Centre part is 28mm diameter and rosette is 50mm diameter (approx.).

Thanks,

Tinto

post-54411-0-20470700-1369431871_thumb.j

post-54411-0-66383600-1369431900_thumb.j

Ubique is RA or RHA.

A quick google leads me to guess it might be something to do with N battery RHA, known as eagle troop? Possibly a cap bagde.

Amongst many other exploits, they were involved in conveying the unknown soldier's body to its final resting place. Is that the reason for the black felt backing?

I'm not even an amateur though... maybe an expert knows for sure?

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your comments. UBIQUE is also the motto of the Royal Engineers but I have not been able to find anything concerning the badge. Hopefully someone knows.

Regards,

Tinto

My first thought was that it is American however the eagle is all wrong. Ian could be right re the RHA however the eagles head is looking in the "wrong direction" in comparison to the other examples of their badge and I can't find anything that looks like your one.

Tinto, where did you get the badge from?

Cheers

Hi Chester837,

I am wondering if the bird is actually an eagle, the beak seems straighter.

I obtained the badge in a job lot including a KOSB shoulder title, London Scottish collar badge, MN (Merchant Navy) silver lapel badge, 11th Hussars collar badge and a very small eagle brooch (which doesn't resemble the larger badge)..

Cheers, Tinto

Hmm, job lot; not much help there then. I did start to wonder myself whether it was an agle or not, it does look a little, shall we say, rotund. The closest image I found related to an Italian church but couldn't find an Italian military link.

Never mind, I'm sure someone will come along and solve it.

Cheers.

Is the bird a Phoenix?

Justin H

Hi Justin, That's a possibility. What would the phoenix/bird be clutching beneath?

Cheers, Tinto

PS After writing this, I thought that it could be fire beneath the bird. That fits with a phoenix rising from the ashes.

I wondered whether they were stylised flames

Justin H

Googling those gives me the possibility of third regiment of foot guards, Scots Guards - symbol of 4th captain is a phoenix.

Guessing now that the fancy felt backing might show it off nicely on a glengarry?

More googling shows it also for 8 squadron Royal Engineers, known as the fighting phoenix. As we've already found RE connected with ubique, surely that must be best guess?

The dark blue rosette would also fit with the RE. That is the colour of their lanyard too. 8 Sqn RE seems a ringer to me.

Thank you All, for your helpful comments and suggestions.

Unless more information comes to light, I'll "pencil in" 8 Sqn Royal Engineers.

Where would a badge of this type be worn on a uniform, or does it come into the sweetheart category?

Cheers, Tinto

Exactly what I was thinking. So what is it?

Justin H

Thank you All, for your helpful comments and suggestions.

Unless more information comes to light, I'll "pencil in" 8 Sqn Royal Engineers.

Where would a badge of this type be worn on a uniform, or does it come into the sweetheart category?

Cheers, Tinto

I think a sweetheart badge. That type of insignia was not usually worn on uniform.