Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Fort rifles -- please identify

Martin Bennitt

The Red Fort in Delhi has a war museum originally started by the British after the Great War with weaponry supposedly mainly used against the Turks or captured from them. A strange collection it is, with very vague labelling. The rifles had me puzzled for instance, being attributed to such countries as Sweden, or just London (which appears to be a shotgun anyway). There are no SMLEs (perhaps in India they don't belong in museums yet) or indeed anything else I can recognise. Can some expert(s) please identify the attached and suggest their real provenance. Sorry about the quality of the pictures but the things were inside glass cases. Here's the first one

post-15158-0-75176200-1369425189_thumb.j

cheers Martin B

and the second

post-15158-0-83599800-1369425358_thumb.j

cheers again

Martin B

Most appear to be carbines rather than full rifles to me

#7 appears to be a Mauser Carbine (the Swedish 1894 / Argentinian 1909 were stocked out to the muzzle like this) this may be the origin of the Swedish labeling

#1 looks like it might be a French Gras (?)Carbine - I think Kynoch in Britain produced/remade some of these -- so again that would explain the British label - but I have never seen one stocked like this

2 & 3 do look to be Martini actions - if # 2 is Turkish then it is probably a Martini-Peabody, #3 looks to be a Martini Cavalry Carbine.

# 5 looks like a Peabody Rifle

Best guesses before I go and start looking things up.

Chris

OK - bit more informed guesses now.... still just my best guess

4 I think this is actually an Pattern 1853 Enfield Cavalry Carbine with the wood cut down

7 I think is a Turkish Model 1905 Mauser Carbine (missing upper hand guard)

1 I think is a Turkish Model 1887 Mauser Carbine

3 I think is a Martini-Henry Cavalry Carbine

5 I think is a Peabody Rifle / Carbine (not too confident on this one)

6 Looks to be a single barreled shotgun of some sort

2 Martini -- and if actually Turkish then a Peabody Martini (possibly converted to 7.65mm see shortened barrel)

Chris

Number 5 is an Austrian Werndl 1867/77 Carbine

M

Quite right. I stand corrected.

Chris

with a couple of comparative images.

4 I think this is actually some version of a Pattern 1856 Enfield Cavalry Carbine with the wood cut down SEE HERE (not sure on this -- but this general pattern)

7 I think is a Turkish Model 1905 Mauser Carbine (missing upper hand guard) SEE HERE

1 I think is a Turkish Model 1887 Mauser Carbine SEE HERE (this is the rifle but shows the action quite well)

3 I think is a Martini-Henry Cavalry Carbine SEE HERE

5 Austrian Werndl 1867/77 Carbine SEE HERE

6 Looks to be a single barreled shotgun of some sort?

2 Martini -- and if actually Turkish then a Peabody Martini (possibly converted to 7.65mm see shortened barrel) SEE HERE middle rifle

Chris

Thanks for that info gentlemen, which leaves me wondering given the age of some of these weapons if they were really captured in Mesopotamia, or perhaps from local tribesmen rather than the Turks. There are even bows and arrows in there clearly marked 1914-18. The information given is somewhat sparse:

post-15158-0-88946400-1369564852_thumb.j

cheers Martin B

These are the pistols and a couple more rifles, or possibly a musket

post-15158-0-19409900-1369565498_thumb.j

another carbine?

post-15158-0-07690100-1369565860_thumb.j

and the machine-gun, an MG08, I believe, but with some bits missing

post-15158-0-72157600-1369566170_thumb.j

cheers Martin B

Not an MG08, but an Austrian Schwarzlose. However, these were also used by the Turks.

Regards

TonyE

These are the pistols and a couple more rifles, or possibly a musket

post-15158-0-19409900-1369565498_thumb.j

Top one is some sort of musket

The lower is a GEW 1888 Commission Rifle by the look of it but the bayonet looks to be a plug bayonet fitted in the barrel which is very odd! SEE HERE

The carbine below looks to be a cut down Gras rifle/carbine SEE HERE

No idea on revolvers!

.....The lower is a GEW 1888 Commission Rifle by the look of it but the bayonet looks to be a plug bayonet fitted in the barrel which is very odd! SEE HERE........

Is it that Chris or is it an optical illusion caused by a side mounted bayonet still in its scabbard?

Cheers

TonyE

Is it that Chris or is it an optical illusion caused by a side mounted bayonet still in its scabbard?

Cheers

TonyE

Which would make much more sense!

but given that the bolt is open - it looks like there might not be room between the rifle and the wall for a bayonet unless the muzzle is further away from the wall than the receiver ....still I think you are right the frog button on the scabbard appears visible.

Chris

Not an MG08, but an Austrian Schwarzlose. However, these were also used by the Turks.

Regards

TonyE

Ah yes, knew I'd seen one before -- in the rather better equipped Vienna military museum

post-15158-0-19410000-1369585664_thumb.j

cheers Martin B

looking at the first two photographs, is it possible that the Turks used Peabody martini in WWI?

Ah yes, knew I'd seen one before -- in the rather better equipped Vienna military museum

post-15158-0-19410000-1369585664_thumb.j

cheers Martin B

No, sorry, that's an Italian 6.5mm Revelli!

looking at the first two photographs, is it possible that the Turks used Peabody martini in WWI?

I cannot quote a source, but I am sure reserve units would have used the Peabody Martini, just as the Martini Enfield was used in the UK.

Regards

TonyE

No, sorry, that's an Italian 6.5mm Revelli!

Regards

TonyE

:blush:

Well they look pretty similar to me. But what the heck, vive la différence.

cheers Martin B

Bottom right revolver in post no.9 appears to be a 2nd or 3rd model s&w no 3 .(the so called Russian model). Could be a copy as many were made by Spanish and Belgian gunmakers and this one appears to have a double action feature not present in the originals

The lower is a GEW 1888 Commission Rifle by the look of it but the bayonet looks to be a plug bayonet fitted in the barrel which is very odd!

Perhaps it's because it's not a bayonet but a boyonet

post-15158-0-23102500-1369650105_thumb.j

cheers Martin B

• 2 weeks later...

revolver far left seems to be some sort Lefaucheux revolver?

Don't think so, my money would be on it being an M1870 Gasser

the more I look the more I have to agree :thumbsup: