Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC officer picture

Jerry B

Picked this up today local to me. The officer in the middle appears to be a Lt. Colonel in the Royal Army Medical Corps and is apparently missing his left hand. The two sergeants with canes are both probably wounded and have an unusual twisted band on their caps. The one on the officers right is I think from the Welsh, though it could be any of the units that wore the Prince of Wales's feathers, such as the Pembrokeshire Yeomanry or the 3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards. The other is wearing a Light infantry or rifle regiment bugle badge, and could be King's Shropshire Light Infantry, 6th battalion (Rifle) King's Liverpool regiment, Durham Light Infantry, Oxford & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry or the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers).

Any thoughts as to what is going on and if you have any thoughts on the ID of the cap badges would be appreciated.

I have scanned it and photographed it.

post-91897-0-44413400-1369318926_thumb.j

post-91897-0-04702100-1369318884_thumb.j

Just seen your post on the Badge Forum and here is my answer;-

They're 'Recruiters' and they're wearing red, white and blue ribbon twists in the caps. I've a lovely 'head & shoulders' of a N.F. Recruiter among my photo collection as well as his obituary in the Regimental Journal, in which it explains he was an old soldier who came back at the beginning of WWI to assist in recruiting.

One on our right is KSLI

Just seen your post on the Badge Forum and here is my answer;-

They're 'Recruiters' and they're wearing red, white and blue ribbon twists in the caps. I've a lovely 'head & shoulders' of a N.F. Recruiter among my photo collection as well as his obituary in the Regimental Journal, in which it explains he was an old soldier who came back at the beginning of WWI to assist in recruiting.

One on our right is KSLI

Thanks again Graham as I have just seen your reply on the British badge forum.

I just came back to add the information that you and PB had posted. Thanks on confirming the badge is KSLI, just need confirmation if possible on the POW badge, but maybe the image is not sharp enough to be certain.

The RAMC officer would have been carrying out the initial medicals as part of the recruitment process.

The RAMC officer would have been carrying out the initial medicals as part of the recruitment process.

Thanks Bob for adding that extra information.

..and he's wearing a single Queen's South Africa Medal ribbon. The Sgt on the left has a single ribbon of a single colour - Army Long Service & Good Conduct or a VolunteerLong Service Medal (First crimson, second green?)

..and he's wearing a single Queen's South Africa Medal ribbon. The Sgt on the left has a single ribbon of a single colour - Army Long Service & Good Conduct or a VolunteerLong Service Medal (First crimson, second green?)

Thanks Phil for adding more to this and much appreciated.

Jerry,

I think that the RAMC officer is a Major (Crown on cuff) and not a Lt.Col.---for what it's worth.

Robert

PS I agree that the officer has a QSA ribbon, uncertain about medal ribbon on lefthand man, but I think his badge is The Welsh Regiment.

Edited by old owl

Jerry,

I think that the RAMC officer is a Major (Crown on cuff) and not a Lt.Col.---for what it's worth.

Robert

PS I agree that the officer has a QSA ribbon, uncertain about medal ribbon on lefthand man, but I think his badge is The Welsh Regiment.

Hi Robert, you might be correct, though I looked at it long and hard and I think it has a star (pip) below/in front of the crown, as it looks too long to be just a crown, or so I thought.

post-91897-0-93352400-1369347990_thumb.j

Hi Jerry,

No, now you have enlarged the area, this definitely shows just the crown of a Major. A Lt.Col. has the pip quite seperate to the crown, so this would show quite clearly as a seperate rank badge on his cuff. Unfortunately I am not skilled enough to post a photo of a Lt.Col.'s cuff rank on here but I have many pictures which show this rank and that of Major.

Regards, Robert