Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIF Uniform ID

afightinglife

Hi all,

My avatar has a photo of my great grandfather that I'm trying to "date". I think if I know what rank he is then I can tell which battalion he was serving with at the time. I think I see a "pip" on his shoulder, so does that mean he is a 2nd Lt? I think the photo in the link below is from the same time, if not the same photo:

(sorry, too big to attach)

Complete novice on uniforms!

Cheers in advance,S.

Hard to say but probably correct-dress looks to be of an officer(shirt with tie, collar and Sam Brown belt with cross strap)- 2/Lt 1 'pip' or star-Lt 2, Captain 3- Then the next single shoulder insignia-a crown- Major. Regards, Paul.

Hi Summer,

Presumably taken between 8/8/16 and 5/4/17.

1/10/14 Sergeant (3 stripes on the arm);

14/3/16 CSM of 46th Bn (Company Sergeant Major, Warrant Officer Class II, a crown on the arm);

14/5/16 Acting RSM of 46th Bn (Regimental Sergeant Major, Warrant Officer Class I, a distinctive crown on the arm and the only person in the battalion with this rank);

08/08/16 Promoted Second Lieutenant (Receives King's Commission, hence earliest date possible for your photograph, as a 2nd LT wears a single pip and officers wore a Sam Browne belt);

05/04/17 Promoted Lieutenant (a LT has 2 pips, which your photograph appears to lack, hence latest possible date for your photograph).

31/01/19 Appointment in AIF terminated, rank Lieutenant.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Thank you both for your helpful responses.

I now believe I can safely assume Jim was in the 46th battalion when the photo was taken. I don't know why, but before I started the thread I thought it was when he was in the 14th. I didn't take notice of the uniform obviously. As a non-military person it is easy to look without "seeing". Since I've joined GWF I've noticed I have improved my research skills and have learnt to look for the detail. :)

I do have further questions so I will PM you Bill, thanks for the offer. You may regret it!!! ;)

Hi Summer,

Jim Cowey! Were you the one that placed his photo at the Kokoda Museum?

Some fantastic stories about his deeds at Kokoda in various books, including on the net.

http://medalsgonemissing.com/military-medal-blog/military-medals/from-gallipoli-to-kokoda-the-story-of-jim-cowey-mc/

Rgds

Tim D

Hi Summer,

Jim Cowey! Were you the one that placed his photo at the Kokoda Museum?

Some fantastic stories about his deeds at Kokoda in various books, including on the net.

http://medalsgonemis...f-jim-cowey-mc/

Rgds

Tim D

Yes, I was! :)

Gary, who wrote that web story with pics and info from me was one of the tour guides when I struggled over the Track. I've been trying to bump him off the results page of a google search for "Jim Cowey", but no luck so far!!! :))

Main tour guide on my trek was Soc Kienzle, son of Capt Herbert Kienzle who organised the carrier lines. It was pretty special. Trekked in 2011 and also in the same group was a son of a 39th veteran and another great nephew of 39th MC recipient. Yes, Jim is mentioned a bit in the Kokoda books, but that time is not even half his story (but I think his crowning glory). When did you go to Kokoda? Cheers,

I've been a few times, last in 2011. My great uncle was 2/25th Bn. I'd do it every year, time permitting. The photo of a man dressed as a NCO with an MC intrigued me, so I looked at Jim's papers when I got back. What a great story, particularly him forming up a section worth of cut off men and marching out of Kokoda after the Japanese occupation.

I've just seen your blog etc. Fantastic that his story is being told.

Hard to say but probably correct-dress looks to be of an officer(shirt with tie, collar and Sam Brown belt with cross strap)

He is indeed wearing an officers Service Dress jacket, rather than the Other Ranks button to the neck style.

Cheers,

Hendo