Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British cavalry lances - which pattern was/were in use?

godwinson

I've always assumed (you'd think I'd know better by now) that the P1894 lance was in use throughout the Great War. So I'm intrigued and now a bit puzzled by the number of 1868 pattern head & socket sets that seem to be appearing dating from the 1914-1918 period, as well as some complete lances.

Some of these seem to be Indian in origin based on the markings and possibly of police issue, but 1868 examples are showing up far more than 1894 and I've yet to find anyone making reproductions on the 1894 head & socket which I am on the look out for to complete my 5th Royal Irish Lancers kit set. I have tracked down some Hanwei repro 1868 sets though.

According to Major Gen Gurcharn Singh Sandhu (The Indian Cavalry published by East West Publications 1981) there was a general shortage of lances in WW1 and not enough available to go round so that some traditional lancer units had no lances. I would imagine that in such circumstances old stocks would be used where ever and when ever they could be found. The abandonment of the lance under Army Order no.39 March 1903 and its reinstatement under Army Order no. 158 June 1909 must have caused significant disruption in the supply of the weapon

Thanks for that Centurion.

Whereabouts in the Marches? I used to live at Holmes Marsh in north Herefordshire.

Thanks for that Centurion.

Whereabouts in the Marches? I used to live at Holmes Marsh in north Herefordshire.

Romers Common. About the same distance East of Leominster as Holmes Marsh is West. Actually in Worcestershire (Malvern Hills district) but surrounded by Herefordshire