Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian 'Hybrid' Tunic

Grovetown

I wonder if anyone with a copy of Drab Serge and Khaki Drill by Grant Tyler (pub. Parks Canada) could look up a Canadian tunic type I've seen referred to as the Hybrid Pattern B?

It's a strange two pocketed thing, and is apparently mid- to late war.

There's one on eBay in Canada if you need an illustration (and I'm not talking about it in terms of authenticity etc etc: just for context).

What I'm after is the accurate nomenclature/ description of this Service Dress type and any dates etc etc as related by Tyler please.

Cheers,

GT.

Title used in book(not official?)-Other Ranks' Universal Service Dress Jackets, Drab Wool, Canadian Hybrid Pattern. Very little in the book . The b. type possibly mid to late war. Example exists to 4th Ammunition Sub-Park. It is drab serge, has plain shoulder straps, standing collar, breast pockets with box pleats and 3 point flaps-top of flaps in line with the second of 5 front closure (as British '02) small buttons (as Canadian '03). No skirt pockets, plain cuffs. Called Hybrid Pattern by Tyler as has features of Canadian and British drab serge jackets and pre war Canadian coloured frocks (no lower pockets). Only difference from a. to b. looks to be b. does not have the pointed cuffs that a. has. (Only a small period picture in the book as illustration) PS Just looked at the item-details given, all as book but book does not mention pocket lining. Regards, Paul.

Thanks Paul - that is very helpful. And, indeed, has enabled me to identify this tunic long held in my collection.

hybrid1_zpsb16f6cda.jpg

It's quite tiny, and I wondered if it was for women - except, of course, Canadian women's army services only came along much later.

Best wishes,

GT.

Very nice and I would think hard to find as no modern picture of one in the book. Modern pictures of other original jackets used throughout the book. Regards, Paul.

Very nice and I would think hard to find as no modern picture of one in the book. Modern pictures of other original jackets used throughout the book. Regards, Paul.

Thanks. I've seen this and two others in my time (the other two both in Canada, and mine came from there). Sorry to ask again: does Tyler feature any period images of it?

In terms of rarity, I wonder if it is equivalent to the British Simplified.

Cheers,

GT.