Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pollock Family, Belfast

hen190782

Good Afternoon,

Two of the men in the newspaper picture below are recorded as "R I Fusiliers" and, whilst I know that RIF is normally associated with Royal Irish Fusiliers, I think that they belonged to Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

So, I am looking for confirmation (this may also be of interest to Orangelil of the Castleton Lantern Slide Project!) - I can provide a higher-res version on request.

post-43948-0-26882000-1368979062_thumb.j

Of course, any information on any of the men in the picture would be of interest to me!

Thanks,

Nigel

Nigel

Can you transcibe what is written below the family, it would help with the context

Corisande

Good Idea!

"Mrs Pollock (widow), residing at 69 Seaview Street, Belfast, is proud to say that she has five sons, three grandsons and a son-in-law serving with the colours.

The names are, reading from left to right

Back Row: Stoker Smith Pollock (Son), Royal Navy; Trooper Hugh Pollock (Son), 5th Lancers; Mrs Pollock; Driver John Pollock (Grandson) Army Service Corps; Pte James Pollock (Grandson), R.I. Fusiliers;

Front Row: Sergt T Pollock (Son) R.G.A.; Pte A Kennedy (Son-in-Law), R.A.M.C.; Pte H McDowell (Grandson), R. I. Fusiliers; Pte W Pollock (Son), R.I.R, at Ballykinlar; and Pte R Pollock (Son), R.I.R, at Ballykinlar"

I have found a service record for a James Pollock (4th Battalion, R Inn Fusiliers) whose father and mother were Thomas and Martha and who lived in the right part of Belfast to be on the Castleton PC Roll of Honour. There is also a Hugh Pollock on the same 1911 census return as Thomas, Martha and James

Nigel

I don't think that Marta could be the granny of a man who served in WW1

I assume you refer to this 1911 census, and you can find them in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Duncairn/Collyer_Street/139950/

A grandson would have had to be born about 1900, and that is about the age of her eldest child - in other words a generation would be missing

On reflection this is your family

http://www.census.na..._Street/142905/

living at 69 Seaview st, Belfast in 1911 census :-)

In 1901 they are at 78 Seaview

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/Sea_View_Street/1004947/

Ans soome stayed there in 1911 census

Corisande

You misunderstood my post - I did not say that Marta [sic] could be the granny of a man who served in WW1:

The "Sergt T(homas) Pollock (RGA)" in the picture was the son of Mrs Pollock, the matriarch of the group, and was married to Martha

The "Pte James Pollock (RI Fusiliers)" in the picture was the grandson of Mrs Pollock, the matriarch of the group, and the son of Thomas and Martha

These are the Census Returns for the matriarch (Eliza Jane):

1911 - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Duncairn/Seaview_Street/142905/

1901 - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/Sea_View_Street/1004947/

But bear in mind that I am primarily interested in getting confirmation, based on the uniforms, of the regiments of the men marked 1 and 2 - i.e. Royal Irish Fusiliers or Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - that is why I have posted in the Uniforms and Insignia sub-fora and not the Solidiers sub-fora.

Nigel

Crossing posts.

Corisande #5 - those are the census returns for part of the family ;-)

Nigel

Corisande

You misunderstood my post - I did not say that Marta [sic] could be the granny of a man who served in WW1:

The "Sergt T(homas) Pollock (RGA)" in the picture was the son of Mrs Pollock, the matriarch of the group, and was married to Martha

The "Pte James Pollock (RI Fusiliers)" in the picture was the grandson of Mrs Pollock, the matriarch of the group, and the son of Thomas and Martha

These are the Census Returns for the matriarch (Eliza Jane):

1911 - http://www.census.na..._Street/142905/

1901 - http://www.census.na...Street/1004947/

But bear in mind that I am primarily interested in getting confirmation, based on the uniforms, of the regiments of the men marked 1 and 2 - i.e. Royal Irish Fusiliers or Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - that is why I have posted in the Uniforms and Insignia sub-fora and not the Solidiers sub-fora.

Nigel

Nigel we would need to see much better photos to differentiate between R Inning Fus and R I Fus. Both regiments were Royal and so had the same dark facings. The R I Fus were unique in that they had two collar badges comprising a coronet and a grenade with a Napoleonic eagle embossed. The coronets were worn nearest to the collar opening.

The R Inning Fus had just a grenade collar badge with a castle (Enniskillen) embossed on the ball of the grenade. As I cannot see two badges on the collars (although the photo is indistinct) then I would say that on balance you are likely to be correct that both men are Inniskillings.

post-599-0-29548200-1369001276_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-43346500-1369001692_thumb.jpg

Frogsmile

Unfortunately, GWF does not facilitate the posting of high resolution images, which is why I made the offer to provide high-res version on request.

If you PM me your email address, I will send the high-res version.

Thanks

Nigel

All below from the Irish Independent;

Captain J J A Pollock, Scots Fusiliers, who has relatives in Belfast, and whose name appears in the lists, is not killed as stated. His name was mentioned in error for that of Captain Max Pollock, of Ayrshire.

Captain A J Pollock, Scots Fus., reported killed in the recent fighting in France, is stated by Belfast friends to be stationed at Greenock at present.

Irish Independent; Private H C Pollock, 7th Dublin Fusiliers, “D” Company, missing since the Suvla Bay fighting on 16th ult., is a son of the late Mr H P Pollock and of Mrs Pollock, Kenilworth Square, Rathgar, Dublin. He was managing a tea estate in Sumatra at the outbreak of the war, subsequenty joining the “Pals.”

Second Lieutenant R Pollock, Munsters , wounded, is a son of Mr R Pollock, 8 Ormeau Avenue, Belfast.

Lieutenant C A Pollock, R.E., brother of Mr J H Pollock, Deanfield, Derry, was wounded with a rifle grenade in both legs, one of which had to be amputated. Another brother, Captain W Pollock, RFA., is at the front.

You may want to check Irish Times Archive also.

I have come across a load of Pollocks also.

Some are listed as wounded in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and The Royal Fusiliers.

If you like I can down load them for you

Regards

Gerry

Tom - do not think any of them are the Pollocks in the photo.

Gerry - It would be great if you could check/download for Belfastmen:

Driver John Pollock, Army Service Corps;

Pte James Pollock, R.I. Fusiliers;

Thanks

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I came cross Two J Pollocks on wounded lists.

1June1916

Pollock J, Stranbane. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

11 August 1916

Pollock J, Belfast Royal Irish Rifles.

Unfortunately there were no army numbers,. The town shown against each soldier's name is the home town of his next -of- kin

Regards

Gerry

Gerry

Thanks for looking, but I do not think that either of those men are part of this story.

Nigel

I have now uploaded the Pollock Family picture to photobucket:

http://s1195.photobu...html?sort=4&o=1

Nigel

The larger image confirms that there is no coronet adjacent to the grenade collar badge and so the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers does seem the most likely regiment.