Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mark IV Female

roger

Can anyone supply details of the MK. IV Female tank Flirt II. I understand it is on display at The Museum of Lincolnshire Life in Lincoln.

All I know is it was built in Lincoln ( I think) in 1917 and saw action at Cambrai.

Roger.

Built by William Foster and Co. Ltd. Of Lincoln in 1917.

Taken from: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Base/154...vWW1Tanks-1.htm

"Female – Flirt II, WD number 2179 - at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Lincoln, UK. Flirt II saw action at Cambrai, finally ditching on Nov.27th. She was recovered, and saw action again in March-April 1918. By the 1930s she had arrived at the Tank Museum after a spell on the nearby ranges. In 1985 she moved back to her place of manufacture in Lincoln, where she was effectively re-built."

I've been to the Museum of Lincolnshire with school parties several times and I think that there is a booklet available on 'Flirt' by some local tank enthusiast group. It might be worth contacting the museum to see if i) I'm right!, and ii) if they've got it.

Flirt II was made up from the parts of two tanks. The team that put it together has long since disbanded.

There certainly was a booklet on the restoration, but I think they would be long gone (printed in the 1980s). The Lincolnshire museum or local library will have a reference copy, if all the shop copies have been sold.

Flirt II was made up from the parts of two tanks.

But one of them was the actual 1917 " Flirt II"?

Thanks very much for the info.

Roger.

Yes. A lot of Flirt's current running gear came from the 'spare' tank.

I believe Flirt still actually belongs (on paper) to Bovington. You'll get a lot more info if you speak to the library at Bovington, than you will from Lincoln (cos I tried, once).

I could do you a monochrome photocopy of the 'Tank Paper' about Flirt if you end up being desperate.

Thanks Graham but there's no need to go to that much trouble.

I just wanted to know some basic facts.

The reason for asking is I've just built a 1/72 scale model of this tank & wanted to know a little bit about it's history.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread.

Roger.

Hello all,

I was about to start a new thread, but thought a put my question/problem in here, as it is about Mark 4/ mark 5 tanks.

as such, the info given here was most welcome, though I'm still on my

hunger.

The past week-end I've tried to locate a proper website about these tanks,

as I have a number of small questions.

I'm particularly looking for technical and mechanical data of these vehicles.

These would have to cover simple facts like dimensions, but also engines, gearbox,

that sort of thing. Exploded views off the tanks interior would also be very welcome. I know there are books about, but with the internet a fingertouch away,

it "should" be easier, right ?

I'm sure there is (are) websites, but google gives me each time the RAC museum,

or modelbuilding sites, which is fine, but not what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

MG

Gibot & Gorczynski's 'Following the Tanks' has a substantial chapter about Flirt, including a photo of her at Cambrai.

Thanks for that Graham. I'll see if i can track it down.

Roger.

Gibot & Gorczynski's 'Following the Tanks' has a substantial chapter about Flirt, including a photo of her at Cambrai.

Could you tell us which infantry unit(s) she saw action with please?

Brendon.