Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alex S Bell

W.J.Caughey

I have identified a Alex S Bell who i cant find on C.W.G.C. and died at Bristol from pneumonia contracted while serving on H.M.T. Dunaff Head and died on the 3rd Dec 1918.

The ourheroesinmemoriam newspaper memory notice says, Sadly Missed by his Mother and Brother and they lived at Railway view, Bangor. Co Down. Ireland.

1901 Irish Census lists a Alexander Bell aged 6, who i think are the family, and 1911 Census ties in with family.

1901 Census

1911 Census

The only details that i can find and come near, are a medal index card for this chap but he was born in Newcastle on Tyne

Reference:

BT 351/1/9345

Description:

Medal Card of Bell, Alexander Stewart Place of Birth: Newcastle on Tyne Date of Birth: 1894

Any help with more details would be great.

Walter

Hi Walter

Don't know if this helps you but he is listed in Barry Niblock's book on North Down & Ards. His name is listed on Bangor War Memorial and also on the War Memorial in Hamilton Road Presbyterian Church. He was Chief Petty Officer and his ship was HMS Magic II.

Regards, Tommy.

Tommy, forgot I had Barry Niblock's book on North Down & Ards but for the life of me I cant find him mention in the book, http://www.barrynibl...k/full_list.htm have just spotted him on the website. Will give Barry an email though his website (don't know Barry personally) but he might know more. Seems the same chap as medal card but Newcastle on Tyne was tricking me, MIC will probably not tell me nothing but wouldn't be able to sleep to-night for curiosity. but many thanks for info. Walter.

Walter

There are two book by Barry Niblock - one on men from North Down Borough Council area and one on men from Ards Borough Council area.

Unfortunately, my copy of NDBC is still in a box after getting the house re-wired - I will forward the url for this topic to him along with your email address.

Nigel

Thank you Nigel.

Walter

Walter

I think I have your man

From TNA

Name Bell, Alexander Stewart. Service Number(s): Z/1367 .... Date of Birth: 11 April 1894.

Admiralty and War Office: Royal Naval Division: Records of Service (Microfiche Copies). Name Bell, Alexander Stewart. Service Number(s): Z/1367. Date of Birth: 11 April 1894.

Collection: Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies

Date range:01 January 1914 - 31 December 1919

Reference:ADM 339/1/2492

Subjects:Armed Forces (General), Army, Navy

With it looks like later service at sea

Name Bell, Alexander Stewart. Service Number: Z/1367. RNVR Division: London. Date of Birth: 11 April ...

Admiralty: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve: Records of Service, First World War. WAR FLEET SERVICE DIVISIONS. London. Name Bell, Alexander Stewart. Service Number: Z/1367. RNVR Division: London. Date of Birth: 11 April 1894.

Collection: Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies

Date range:01 January 1914 - 31 December 1918

Reference:ADM 337/36/185

Subjects:Armed Forces (General), Operations, battles and campaigns, Navy, Conflict

Both cards are available on line

Chris, i thought it was him and downloaded that medal card N/A Bell, Alexander Stewart. Service Number: Z/1367, but its not him,different Mothers name and was born Newcastle on Tyne.

Have your email, i will try sending and see what you think.

Walter

• 9 years later...

Report of death in the Northern Whig 28 December 1918:

10925501_NorthernWhig28December1918.jpg.7da5cae9b15ae7dc776446c1019ba8ed.jpg

Also a family notice in the Belfast News-Letter 06 December 1918:

1676143792_BelfastNews-Letter06December1918.jpg.d39bb3d22b74fd18de220c60c86467a1.jpg

Looks like he was buried at Bangor Old Abbey Churchyard. The death registration on GRO gives his full name as Alexander Stewart Bell, and he is likewise named on Barry Niblock's website linked above, but his true name appears to be Alexander Smiley Bell, with Smiley being his mother's maiden name. There is a Merchant Navy card for him on FMP which is mistranscribed as "Alexander Emily". In the absence of any military records (so far as I can tell), I assume he was Merchant Navy rather than Royal Navy and therefore inelligible for commemoration?