Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russian Cross of St George to Scots Guards

punjab612

I'm attempting to help a friend research her Gt Uncle 7250 CSM Harry Heyes of 2nd Bn Scots Guards. She has a picture of him with a note saying he was awarded the Russian Cross of St George. The picture was taken she thinks in the UK in 1915. He isn't wearing the medal. I don't currently have the picture so I can't post it.

I've tried to find information about the award to him but so far have drawn a blank. I've tried the London Gazette & the Times.

Any suggestions how I could find anything about more him and the award

TIA

Peter

sorry my PC is playing up I do not have him with a Foreign Award on my database & could not find him on the LG. The above LG is for his DCM

Thanks ForeignGong I had already found the DCM but like you I can't find any trace of the Russian Medal. The only supporting evidence is family stories and the handwitten note on a photo.

Do you khow any source other than LG for tracing recipients of the Cross?

We are contacting the Scots Museum Archive to see if they have his service record whcih may cast some lught on it.

Peter

Hi Peter. If you do find his award could you please let me know the source of the info to add to my data base. Thanks

• Admin

Thanks ForeignGong I had already found the DCM but like you I can't find any trace of the Russian Medal. The only supporting evidence is family stories and the handwitten note on a photo.

Do you khow any source other than LG for tracing recipients of the Cross?

We are contacting the Scots Museum Archive to see if they have his service record whcih may cast some lught on it.

Peter

Peter

The Scots Guards Museum in London will probably have his service record. http://www.theguardsmuseum.com/Family-Research

There may be something in Kew - WO 388/4 Decorations received from Russia. These seem to be pre-publication lists from the Gazette and sometimes have little extra snippets of information left out of hte Gazette.

Glen

Thanks Glen, His niece is in the process of of applying for his service record. I wasn't aware of the WO388 series before; another one to add to my list for next time I head to Kew. Unless SKS has some free time & could do a look up for me?

Peter

• 7 months later...
Guest DonCranfield

Dear Peter

I'm not replying about this current topic, but regarding something you posted in 2007 - extract copied below. I came across this when searching for information on my Great Uncle, 2nd Lt. Charles Frederick Onslow Wickham. I only knew sketchy details - according to the family story, he got a local girl pregnant and was sent to Australia. There was a daughter who lived locally and the mother called herself Mrs Wickham (and indeed may well have married my great uncle). I wonder if she is the Alice Wickham mentioned in the records - it seems likely, as she appears to have returned to the UK from Australia, so perhaps had followed him out there.

My Grandmother (who married CFO Wickham's brother) remembered him riding a black horse at full gallop through the village of Stonegate, where he is commemorated on the War memorial.

I was astonished to find out that you have a piece of the shrapnel shell that injured your Grandfather and killed my Great Uncle.

Best wishes

Don Cranfield

doncranfield@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

Charles F O Wickham was with the 16th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers on 26/6/1916. He only joined this Bn on 20th/21st June. He was killed on leaving the trenches after an instructional tour. Also killed was 2/Lt Popple (again att'd from 15th NF), and injured were Capt. Duglinnson and 2/Lt George Thorneycroft (my Grandfather). See extract from War Diary.

It was a shrapnel shell that hit them I still have a piece of it, extracted from my Grandfather's left forearm.. The Bn was based at Warloy before moving up to Knight's Redoubt (nr Bouzincourt) prior to 1st July.

Another account of this is given in the Regimental History. It has been suggested to me that this extract may be interpreted as 'friendly' fire. I'm not sure. Will put these on separate post due fo file size.

What is your interest in Wickham? I have never picked up any AIF connection from the bit of research I have done on him. Would love to see anything you have on him.

If you want full Dairy or Regimental History Chapter or photo of his grave in Authuille Military Cemetery PM me with your e-mail address

Peter