Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal ribbon advice

BillyH

Other than my basic knowledge of WW1 service medals and the ability to google images! - please forgive my ignorance on medal ribbons.

I am looking for a bit of help as to what is denoted on the attached photo, between the Military Medal & bar, and a Croix de Guerre (not the button!) I believe this photo was taken in early 1919, before the BWM & Victory medals were issued.

And while I am on the subject, can anyone confirm when 1914 or 1915 Stars were given out?

Thanks for any expert advice, BillyH.

post-41657-0-94303100-1368625201_thumb.j

Looks like a 14 Star or 14/15 Star. Authorised in 1918 so the ribbon would have been worn before the Star was issued.

Excellent squirrel, a 1915 Star ribbon it will be then.

Wouldn't the C de G have taken precedence though, and been in the centre?

I don't believe so, someone far more knowledgeable than me will be along to confirm/refute I'm sure, but it's my understanding that foreign awards would be worn after any British issue.

Steve

Hi Billy,

No, the recipients British Campaign medals and British gallantry awards take precedence over any foreign awards. In other words the Croix de Guerre comes at the end of the group. :thumbsup:

Robert

The medals are worn by Petty Officer John Silverwood, Hood Battalion : RND

• 2 months later...

For New Zealander soldiers, the 1914-5 Star was posted out in 1921-22....but the ribbon could be worn from 1917 onwards, as confirmed by dated photographs. cheers

For New Zealander soldiers, the 1914-5 Star was posted out in 1921-22....but the ribbon could be worn from 1917 onwards, as confirmed by dated photographs. cheers

This is not correct - the 1914 Star was not authorized until very late 1917, with initial issue of ribbon to those entitled from early/mid 1918 when stocks became available. The 1914-15 Star itself was not authorized until very late 1918, with initial issue of ribbon to those entitled from early 1919:

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=130624