Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identify a grenade (I think!)

alastaircox

I would be grateful if anyone can help identify the following from my WW1 trench art collection. It has been overpainted in the mottled brown. I believe it to be a grenade, the inside has the fragmentation pattern usually found outside. It is in cast iron, opens at both ends with no evidence of threads, 9cm long and weights 444g. It is marked H.L.D 1915.

I have trawled endless grenade websites and the closest I can find is the American Civil War Rains or Ketchum style which it can't be. Please help?!

671100006_o.jpg

671100027_o.jpg

671100038_o.jpg

British No.16 Hand Grenade - 'The Oval Pattern'. Introduced in early 1915.

Dave

Possibly the first version of the German Eierhandgranate - egg grenade? The later versions had an external fragmentation belt but the early ones were completely smooth

Possibly the first version of the German Eierhandgranate - egg grenade? The later versions had an external fragmentation belt but the early ones were completely smooth

They didn't have internal fragmentation and were a different shape and size to that depicted though. The German grenade also only has one hole whereas the No.16 has one for the fuze gasket and one for the filler. The No.16 matches in all respects.

(PS. what you refer to as the 'fragmentation belt' was actually for improved grip, not for fragmentation)