Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilts Regiment help needed please

Psmith24

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone could shed any light on a chap I am researching by the name of Charles Edyvane (or Edyveane, or Egdvane as he is variously referred in army and census records).

Charles came from Padstow, Cornwall and enlisted in 6th DCLI in December 1914. He went to France with the Cornwalls, but subsequently transferred to the 1st Wilts and was KiA on 1st Sept that 1918.

He had two service numbers: No. 17212 (DCLI) and No. 28101 (Wilts).

The 6th DCLI disbanded in Feb 1918 and I had assumed that was when he transferred, but the regimental museum doesn't think this was the case.

Can anyone deduce from his second service number when he might have joined the 1st Wilts?

I was told this could be between April and August 1916, but this may be open to some doubt. Can anyone confirm this date or offer any other possible suggestions?

Grateful as always.

Peter

A quick look at the CWGC shows a number of men killed with the 281XX number were all killed after September 1918. Not conclusive proof but suggestive that he may have been transferred on disbandment of 6th DCLI. It would involved lots of detailed work comparing these names to SDGW to confirm where men around this number served previously.

Kind regards

Colin

28167 Walter Steenkiste seems to have been given his number after 24 Jan 1918. I'm looking through his records for a better date.

EDIT:

Date of transfer to 2nd Wilts was 4 Jul 1918.

Craig