Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Horse Artillery in Training: Pathe Film 1910-1919

Whilst researching the RHA I stumbled on this wonderful film footage. In the remote chance that others have not seen it......

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/royal-horse-artillery-in-training/query/Royal+horse+artillery

Edit: Please note the footage does not start until it has run for one minute. You can scroll forward on the bar at the foot of the film.....

Clips on recruits training on QF 18 Pdrs, .... RHA batteries on exercise coming into action......Lorry mounted AA guns in training....... BL 4.7 in guns in training, and being attached to limbers and horse teams....

The handling of the horse teams I found particularly interesting...seeing a whole team of six horse wheeling into position with a limber and immediately backing up to the gun was very impressive. No horsing about.....

Regards MG

Thanks for the link. I have looked at a few of the older film clips and enjoyed them, but one shows only captions without any pictures.

D

Thanks for the link. I have looked at a few of the older film clips and enjoyed them, but one shows only captions without any pictures.

D

I have edited the link in the OP....The clip titled Royal Horse Artillery in Training starts with captions.... A minute into the film the footage starts.....

Many thanks, much enjoyed. The coverage of the battery coming into action well shows the numbers of horses involved.

Old Tom

This looks to be at the Woolwich barracks/depot, and presumably somewhere closeby on Woolwich Common when they take the guns out.

Many thanks, much enjoyed. The coverage of the battery coming into action well shows the numbers of horses involved.

Old Tom

And what struck me just how much effort the men had to put in to control the beasts.

What a fascinating film - many thanks for the link. It goes nicely with the Battlefield History TV film depicting the modern King's Troop of the Royal Horse Artillery and their 13-pounders. Interestingly, half the gun team shown in that film were female - I wonder what the 1914 RHA gunners would have made of that?

And thank you for finally letting me see how guns were actually fired. Every other description/film/picture I've seen has glossed over this and I could never see exactly where the lanyard was attached.

Melvin

An excellent find.

The marching on the square at Woolwich brings back memories. The drill sheds may be the ones off Repository Road opposite the barracks, the anti-aircraft lorries are driving along that road.

There are many fascinating insights. A whole fields battery coming into action, the limbers being deployed, detailed gun drills on field guns, anti aircraft guns and AA Guns. As Old Tom mentions the number of horses shows how dependent the artillery were on their four legged companions.

The marching seems almost slack by the standards of later years, but they go with a swing and look purposeful.

Excellent. The arches on the interior at Woolwich (the front of balcony walkways I think) reminded me of the WW1 barracks at Ypres from the Gutenberg e-Book History of the 1/5th Leicestershire Regiment (Chapter 2)

Ian

Excellent. The arches on the interior at Woolwich (the front of balcony walkways I think) reminded me of the WW1 barracks at Ypres from the Gutenberg e-Book History of the 1/5th Leicestershire Regiment (Chapter 2)

Ian

Just realised this is even more fascinating as this must be to the rear of the main archway.