Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mapping the legacy of the Great War on home soil

spof

Didn't this Forum attempt something similar four or five years ago? There was, I think, an initial spurt of submissions, but then nothing.

Moonraker

I see there is no mention of Drill Halls in the article - perhaps someone has done all ther research there is to be done on this topic!!!!

As one of the two behind the original project, it's interesting to see it being taken up & I do not have a particular problem with that. The whole point of the exercise was to (1) provide a resource to highlight extant WW1 sites in the UK and (2) investigate the use of Google Maps as a mapping tool to be a part of individual research. The original has served its purpose on both areas.

The reason it went largely dormant was that no-one contacted me with further sites to add - this was meant to be a co-operative exercise! And drill halls were specifically excluded as there already existed an excellent online resource for that area.

Regards

Brian

• Admin

Brian

I wasn't aware of the earlier project but if they do get funding for this, I think it could be a very interesting project. It will appeal to people researching a family, property or locality who may not have much interest in the war itself.

Glen

I have no problem with "WW1 mapping".

But where, in UK, does "WW1 buildiing,etc,add to what is already petrified?

e.g.I live in a Victorian House and knocked "seven bells" out of it ,including its outside loo ,which saw "service" before and during WW1,in my effort "to modernize"..

Should I have preserved it, as an WW1 artefact ,and now supply newspaper for WW1 reality, on cold,frosty nights?

George