Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

british regiments

pol o frithil

To whom it concerns, i am trying to locate some info on three ancestors of mine. the first man name was Fred weir ,this man served in the royal irish fusilers but i do not know what battalion he was in. the reason i do not know this is i cannot locate his service number. i have been in touch with the museum and with out his service number they cannot help.i have been on the pro.gov.uk webpage looking for his medal card but they have not reached 'W' as yet.Fred served the whole of the first world war and he survived.the second man i am looking is a man called Frank finan he served in three regiments according to his medal card . these were the irish guards, the royal flying corps and the sherwood foresters(notts and derby regiment). Frank could have served in more but i do not know this. he died serving with the sherwood foresters in france and is buried in le treport.i have got his medal card. i would like to find out as much as can about him.

the third man i am trying to locate is a man called tom frehill. al i know about him is that he served in a british regiment based near a town called ballinasloe co. galway ireland in the nineteenth century. i do not have service number or know the name of the regiment . i hope someone out there would be able to give some information on all three men. all the men were irish.thank you very much in advance.

pol o frithil

Information from CWGC

Name: FINAN

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt.)

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 24/08/1918

Service No: 72254

Additional information: Son of Margaret Finan, of Dromore West, Co. Sligo.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VII. C. 6B.

Cemetery: MONT HUON MILITARY CEMETERY, LE TREPORT

Information from Soldiers died in the Great War

Born-Dromore,Co Sligo

Enlisted-Ballina Co. Mayo

Residence-Dromore West,Co Sligo

Died of Wounds France and Flanders

Formerly 10857,Irish Guards

Andrew Hesketh (forum member)will be able to give you information regards the Sherwood Foresters

I cannott give you anymore help but go to the Long Long Trail as indicated at the top of your posting,you will get a lot more help there

Regards Doug.

There is a recent book on the 10th Battalion by Cliff Housley (Pub. Miliquest Publications, Nottingham; ISBN 0 952964821). Finan is listed in the Appendix but there is no further detail given against his name other than that supplied above.

Kind rgds

Ed

• 2 months later...

Re Frehill Ballinasloe.

Have you an approximate year.

There are two volumes " In search of the forlorn hope" which lists as accurately as possible the British Army units in garrison worldwide including Ireland.

I will have a look when I go home this evening.

It was usual for a battation to be spread wide in companies/platoons or cavalry troops over a range of small town garrissons. i.e. the DLI had components in Ballinrobe, Westport, Castlebar, Castlerea etc.

The record is not complete regarding years but somtimes someone has comprised a list for the local history. Ballinasloe Library maybe able to help.

They components were reunited annually for exercises on the curragh.

regards

David

The following is now on MICS online:-

Medal card of Weir, Fred

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Irish Rifles 7317 Private

Leinster Regiment 27803 Private

Not exactly what you want but may be of use?