Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Ribbon Identifiction

patrick Eggs

Hello all

Some one asked me to ID this medal ribbon, I would be pleased on any ideas that any one may have.

Crimson Ramblerpost-89740-0-55645500-1368030902_thumb.j[attachment

Has the appearance of an Military Cross which is possible if the man in the photo is a C.S.M., or above, any chance of some further details on the man?

I'm afraid I'm going to spoil the party. He is clearly a Sergeant, therefore ineligible for the Military Cross, and believe it to be (from the evidence of what looks to be colouring of the edge) a British War Medal in thew period from early 1919 when the ribbon was allowed to be worn, but before the institution of the Interallied Victory Medal.

I'm afraid I'm going to spoil the party. He is clearly a Sergeant, therefore ineligible for the Military Cross, and believe it to be (from the evidence of what looks to be colouring of the edge) a British War Medal in thew period from early 1919 when the ribbon was allowed to be worn, but before the institution of the Interallied Victory Medal.

It is extremely difficult to tell from the photo if he is a Sgt or a C.S.M., so please don't spoil the party, just read my posting first!!

I read your post before replying. I am sticking with my assessment.

To be honest the "Ribbon" looks like "two ribbons" by the sheer size on his tunic, and I'd go with a Star and BWM,[ie;

prior to issue of AVM], or a BWM/AVM Pair.

HB

Hello all

Thanks, for all of your thoughts , I will have to do some more research on the photo , but in 1919 he was a CSM. but I do not think the ribbon is an MC. And I cannot see it as the BWM, would they have issued a medal ribbon prior to a man getting the medal, I have heard of some men not getting the medals until well after the end of the war.?

Crimson Rambler

The Ribbons were available long before the actual medals were issued you do see photos of Men going to Buck House with just a Star and the Ribbon of the BWM worn alone as a medal length next to it.

The attached photo of CQMS WOODBINE HAYLOCK 1/4th CAMBS Regt TF [late 1/1st CAMBS and 9th Northamptonshire Regts] shows such an occurence of just the Star and BWM Ribbons being worn before the introduction of the AVM..

post-2388-0-89549500-1368119553_thumb.jp

There was an Order of The Day for units in the North Russia Relief Force in April 1919 that all ranks entitled should put up the ribbon of the 'War Medal' on their uniforms with immediate effect. In World War Two, the ribbon of the '1939-43' Star was issued to entitled troops (later the 1939-45 Star, of course) - and the ribbon of the Africa Star was issued in late 1943. Long before any medals were issued.

Hello

Many thanks for the info on the issue of the medal ribbons.

Crimson Rambler