Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Cavalry Division

DennisF73

G'day Members,

I am after the 3rd Cavalry Divisions war Diaries. I have searched on the National archives UK and seem to hit brick walls. Every time I do a search fro 3rd Cavalry only medal Index cards come up. Some paper work I have found on the 3rd states that they were attached to the Fourth Army Cavalry Corp and also the Third Army. Last but not least the 3rd Cav Div. dismounted men were transferred by rail to reserve army, that order was given on the 29th of Sept. 1916. If anyone knows where to locate the units diary it would be great Help.

Thank You In Advance

Dennis Frank

3rd Cavalry Division files are contained in WO 95/1141 to 1156 (from your queries you only need the first two)

Cheers,

Simon

Thank you very much Simon.

G'day Simon,

I have requested from the National Archives the copies of the 3rd Cav. Div. Diaries , they have come back with a quote estimate of 500 pounds which I think sounds pretty steep. Do you know of anyone who can help in obtaining these. Am willing to pay for there time.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I'm in there tomorrow and Wednesday; I'll have a look for what you need.

Cheers,

Simon

Cheers For the offer Simon. My mate who runs battlefield tours in France has put me onto someone for assistance.

Thank You

Dennis

Dennis,

I was able to conduct a review of the 3rd Cavalry Division staff files yesterday. There are two kinds of detachment in the period: working parties up to 3-400 men and what I would describe as fighting detachments of about 500 ORs. I presume it is the latter you are interested in. You may detect that there is more than one example of this, and you are right! Information on what they were up to is not contained in 3rd Division files and, as they would appear to be acting under the command of infantry formations, I doubt there will be further illumination in other cavalry files. I have copied the relevant detail from the diary as to the formation, command and destination of these detachments (interesting in itself) and will forward as a pdf file. Your contact will need to investigate further the lines of enquiry indicated. Please ping me an e-mail address.

Cheers,

Simon

Just for the record, I do know that 6th Cavalry Brigade (part of 3rd Cavalry Division) received orders as early as 27th Dec 1915 to form a dismounted Division.

Each of the Brigades regiments supplied 362 men with 55 HQ staff giving a total of 1141 for what was the 6th Dismounted Battalion.

The 1st + 2nd Cavalry Divisions also did the same.

The men seemed to be mainly used in working parties, my great uncle was one such cavalryman repairing trenches and laying cables at Ovillers at the end of August 1916 when he and 6 others were wounded by a shell. Three of them, including great uncle Bill, were killed.

There is a little more detail about the dismounted Division in the "History of the 6th Cavalry Brigade" by Lt. J.B. Bickersteth

Incidentally, I have the 3rd Cavalry Division Diaries for April to June 1915 (only) if they are of any use?

BillyH.

G'day Billyh,

Thanks for the input, I am after the date period of August o November 1916. The soldiers that I am researching states they were buried by the 3rd Cavalry Division dismounted party.

Thank You

Dennis