Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5 inch Howitzer

KONDOA

Hi Chums,

Im looking for details on this weapon which was almost obsolete at the beginning of the war and was soon replaced. Who Made it? Does anyone have decent photographs or other information and previous usage they could share.

As luck would have it I bought the Osprey book "British Artillery 1914-19", yesterday! On the first page there is a illustration of a 5 inch howitzer :D

Email off forum and I'll scan all the relevant info and send it to you.

Roger.

Ian Hogg's great book has much info. re: 5" howitzers, I'll post it.

My own TF artillery bty. used these to 1916, want any references/quotes on use? The Osprey book is good though, should cover most technical info.

See Hogg, I.V. 1998 Allied Artillery of World War One Crowood Press, Ramsbury p.66, 212.

Also Macdonald, L. 1997 1915: The Death of Innocence. Penguin, London. p.299-300 Bdr. 776186 Norman Tennant D Bty. 245th West Riding Brigade RFA (TF) for good notes on usage.

And... 'In January 1916 the good old 5" Howitzers were replaced by Q.F. 4." Howitzers. It seemed rather hard at first to lose our dear, dirty old guns, which had been with us all the time. They had, indeed, lived in the Ilkley Drill Hall for many years before the war, and all the old gunners of the Battery had learned their drill on them. In the war, they had already fired thousands of rounds at the 'Boche', and had done yeoman service. However, once sentiment had faded, the new weapons were keenly studied, and the attraction of the 'Quick Firing' part of the title was powerful'. Gee, A.E. and Shaw, A.E. A Record of D245 Battery 1914-1919 Renwick, Otley. p.58.