Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RA tunic id req'd.

hadfield

Hi All, With reference to the pictures below, can anyone identify the particular Royal Artillery regiment that this tunic (the tunic has odd shaped RA buttons down the front) belongs to and anything about the insignia? There are no labels inside the tunic or trousers, the trousers have only the name etc of the last owner. If anyone can tell me more about that, I would be further grateful. With regard to the trousers, they have a thin red stripe down the outside of each leg. Many thanks in advance, B.

post-39159-0-29682500-1367866354_thumb.j

post-39159-0-15086900-1367866363_thumb.j

First thought it looked a bit foreign, then looking at the buttons are they R.M.A. ? A close up would be good. Someone will ping those sleeve badges pretty quick I'm sure.

Hi, Many thanks for those replies, very useful! I've attached a side view picture of one of the buttons, just in case. Can anyone tell me what the lettering on the inside of the trousers waistband means? That is 'COY SHQ PT' or 'AI' (it's a little indistinct) and 'SECAIRE GUN' also the tunic and trousers came with a Pattern 1903 bandolier, if this does belong to this tunic then does that point towards it being RHA? Again many thanks, B.

post-39159-0-09084000-1368040304_thumb.j

It's not 'Coy HQs AIF' is it ? thus Australian Imperial Forces.

Know nothing about RA uniforms so this is just conjecture about the handwriting.

Tim

Definitely a Blue Patrol jacket for a RA HQ staff QMS pre 1915, or post 1938 Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant (after regiments replaced brigades). Ball buttons were most commonly (but not exclusively) used by RHA units.  Interestingly RA brigades did not have QMS in their HQ during WW1 and instead the battery QMS worked directly to the ammunition and supply columns.

Edited by FROGSMILE