Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maximum shrapnel range of the French 75 in 1914

bmac

I wonder if any artillery experts can help with a query about the French 75's range. From various sources I have read that the maximum range firing shrapnel for the 75 was c. 7,400 yd (6,800 m). I am reading an article from a US artillery magazine dated Jan-Mar 1914 which gives this information:

75 mm fuze: Combination time train spirally coiled on cylinder

Maximum range of time train: 6,014 yards (5,500 metres)

Being a novice in these things I interpret the 'maximum range of time train' as the maximum range at which the shrapnel shell can be set to explode. Is that correct and, if so, how can one get to a maximum range of 6,800 metres unless with a different charge and shell? According to a French artillery general writing in 1927, the 75 in 1914 had a maximum range when firing HE of 8,000 metres but that the sighting mechanism was geared towards firing shrapnel (which is what most French officers expected them to fire) and thus the maximum range allowed for in the sighting mechanism was 6,500 metres.

Any thoughts, explanations (as to an idiot, please) gratefully received.

Bill Other sources quote +/- 8.5 k for either round. I should have thought that the biggest issue was the maximum range of observable fire. There was no point in spraying shrapnel around the countryside on the off chance that somebody might be underneath it, so I suspect that 3k was closer to the actual figure achieved in field conditions. Jack

From Canon de 75 modèle 1897 on wikki (yes I know it is not everyones favourite)

HE Shell weight 5.4 kg

Shrapnel shell weight 7.24 kg

With fixed quickfiting ammunition having a standard charge the heavier shell would travel a shorter distance.

Bill Other sources quote +/- 8.5 k for either round. I should have thought that the biggest issue was the maximum range of observable fire. There was no point in spraying shrapnel around the countryside on the off chance that somebody might be underneath it, so I suspect that 3k was closer to the actual figure achieved in field conditions. Jack

Jack,

Take the point about observation and I gather, even with the best binoculars/telescopes, 5000 metres was the best anyone could manage if the terrain allowed it. Usual ranges were between 3 and 4,000 metres and sometimes less.

Ian,

Thanks for the link. I note it is for 1917. Taking a look at the range tables this is for shells modified during the war.

Cheers

Bill

The range of the shrapnel shell fired by the French 75mm gun was limited by the time fuze with which it was provided. That is, the maximum burning time of the fuze corresponded to the time it took the shell to travel 5,500 meters. High explosive shells enjoyed a much longer range because they were fitted with fuzes of different kinds. (Direct comparison is complicated because the various high explosive shells designed for the French 75mm did not weigh the same as the standard shrapnel shells. They often had somewhat different shapes, which also influenced their behavior in flight.)

It would not have been difficult to provide the shrapnel shells with fuzes that burned for a longer period of time. However, this was not done before the war because of the assumption that engagements would take place at relatively short ranges. It was not done during the war because high explosive shells quickly became the 'general purpose' projectile of the 75mm gun and, as a result, efforts devoted to the development of new projectiles were focused on the invention of new kinds of high explosive shells.