Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remains Found November 2007

peterhogg

I have held off making this post for some time but in light of posts concerning remains and in some cases almost hysterical and sanctimonious comments concerning the discovery of remains I offer this:

From time to time, in between rather awful prosecutions I retreat to a gites in northern France. On an occasion October, 2007 I was field walking near Courcellette and found a boot with a foot and a good part of a leg below the knee intact. So you won't all fuss, I was out field walking with some of your Brit favs over here so the Great Forum was well-represented racially. This was a relic of the Great War dug up in the harvest. who knows what became of this person? We dug a bit of soil out and buried the remains. He received a decent burial. You think otherwise? Look, it was a foot and shin in what appeared to be a British or maybe Canadian boot near Courcelette, just west of Regina Trench.

What is wrong with that? And again, spare me the sanctimony. He is mot missing, here is here.

Interesting post but with respect I cannot quite understand it. The thread is entitled “Remains found November 2007” yet in your post you state that this was “Last October” perhaps you will be so kind as to enlighten us as to the actual time-scale. Again and with of course the greatest respect you will be aware that there is a thread entitled “Human Remains” which I would suggest appears to be a more appropriate place for your post.

Link

http://1914-1918.inv...8&hl=bone&st=50

Norman

Edit: I note that the post is now amended.

I have held off making this post for some time but in light of posts concerning remains and in some cases almost hysterical and sanctimonious comments concerning the discovery of remains I offer this:

From time to time, in between rather awful prosecutions I retreat to a gites in northern France. On an occasion October, 2007 I was field walking near Courcellette and found a boot with a foot and a good part of a leg below the knee intact. So you won't all fuss, I was out field walking with some of your Brit favs over here so the Great Forum was well-represented racially. This was a relic of the Great War dug up in the harvest. who knows what became of this person? We dug a bit of soil out and buried the remains. He received a decent burial. You think otherwise? Look, it was a foot and shin in what appeared to be a British or maybe Canadian boot near Courcelette, just west of Regina Trench.

What is wrong with that? And again, spare me the sanctimony. He is mot missing, here is here.

The farmers in areas where there were high casualties during wartime must have this dilemma quite often.I understand why the fathers of some farmers told their sons to leave some fields to pasture, rather than plough for crops.Thank you for replacing this soldiers remains back where you found them.I hope he survived, but if he didn't,it seems the proper thing to do.Dust to dust, wherever it happens to be.My grandfather may have been dug up many times by farmers trying to make a living for their families.I like to think that he wouldn't have begrudged them that,after the devastation that was wreaked on their homeland during WW1.