Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM Medal .Citation

patrick Eggs

Hello all, I have an old friend of mine who's Father was awarded the MM Medal, I wiil show his MIC with all the details, I have been trying to find the citation ,I have found him listed on page 1611 of The Gazette 4/2/1918 but cannot find a citation for him . What is the chance of finding this ? any thoughts.

Crimson Rambler

post-89740-0-12274700-1367318303_thumb.j

Citations for MMs were not generally published. Your best bet will probably be to visit the local newspaper of the town in which you friends relation was living at the time he received the award(or at least where his family were living!). There could well be a report stating: "Local Man awarded the Military Medal" or such like and then it may divulge the reason for the award.

Remember though that this information could appear in the newspaper up to three months prior to the L.G date, so you need to start looking at the start of November, 1917, and work forward to the Gazette date.

Good Luck.

Robert

Many thanks old owl I will follow that line of search.

Patrick/Crimson Rambler.

You could also try the war diary for his unit, which should be at Kew. It might also be worth contacting the Firepower museum to see if they can help.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

The problem is not that the citations were not published, it is that during the Blitz the records section of the National Archives was bombed by the Luftwaffe and the records were destroyed. The War Diaries are definitely your best bet here

If you do not find any mention in the brigade or ammunition column war diary (depending on what his unit was), then try the diary of the CRA of 34th Division. In similar circumstances I have found MM awards mentioned there when it was completely absent from the brigade diary.

If you do not find any mention in the brigade or ammunition column war diary (depending on what his unit was), then try the diary of the CRA of 34th Division. In similar circumstances I have found MM awards mentioned there when it was completely absent from the brigade diary.

Some time ago you bet a pound that my grandfather received his MM for Arras. However, according to the diaries, the 8th Seaforth medals for Arras were dished out shortly after the event by some general or another and as far as i can see, my grandfather was not among them. I have all the diaries for that year, and the only list with his name is the one on July 18th. Gazetted 29th August. THINK you lost the bet. Unless you know something I don't?

Hazel

Don't have a quid!

H.

Are you sure that the "dishing out after Arras" was not just the ribbon ? Mot recipients got the ribbon long before they got the actual medal.

NGG

Are you sure that the "dishing out after Arras" was not just the ribbon ? Mot recipients got the ribbon long before they got the actual medal.

NGG

Could very well have been. Will have to check the terminology! However, my point remains that my grandfather is on a fairly short list in the "Daily Orders" on 18th July which makes me think it was something else.

Hazel