Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1000's of German Pickelhaube Helmets - where were they ?

Lancashire Fusilier

Could anyone tell me where this amazing wall made of 1000's of German Pickelhaube Hemlets was in London ?

The wall was part of the display for the Victory Parade held in London on April 17, 1919.

What happened to the German Helmets after the parade ?

LF

post-63666-0-96197000-1367235532_thumb.j

I wouldn't trust the attribution, as that doesn't look like London to me. I have never seen a street lamp like that one, and I don't recognise the eagle on the plinth (the only thing like it being the RAF memorial, which was not put up till later and is much smaller). The scene has more of an American feel.

I wouldn't trust the attribution, as that doesn't look like London to me. I have never seen a street lamp like that one, and I don't recognise the eagle on the plinth (the only thing like it being the RAF memorial, which was not put up till later and is much smaller). The scene has more of an American feel.

I know you cannot always trust photo captions, but it is definitely marked as being London, and for the London Victory Parade ?

Regards,

LF

Seems it's New York City. An image search for Victory Parade, 1919 and helmets finds this page. See item no. 6 (after doing a double-take at the photo for item no. 7...!)

Seems it's New York City. An image search for Victory Parade, 1919 and helmets finds this page. See item no. 6 (after doing a double-take at the photo for item no. 7...!)

Wainfleet,

Mystery solved, New York and not London.

Your photo attached of the German Pickelhaub Helmet Pyramid - amazing sight !

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-75942200-1367243342_thumb.j

Drool drool... multiply each one by a conservative one and a half thousand quid at current prices and that's quite a collection. I, like the OP wonder what happened them all...

Drool drool... multiply each one by a conservative one and a half thousand quid at current prices and that's quite a collection. I, like the OP wonder what happened them all...

You can have mine for the bargain price of a thousand pounds!

Don't tempt me!! Wife may have some observations on it that may not be immediately recognisable to the collector community... if you know what I mean ;)