Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Graylingwell War Hospital

afightinglife

Hi all,

Thought I'd share with you all how helpful the people at the West Sussex records office have been for me. I'm in Australia and have been able to liaise with one of their staff via phone/email regarding obtaining records, official reports and newspaper articles regarding Graylingwell Hospital. My great grandfather was treated there in 1915 in the first months after it opened and although individual records no longer exist, the other information they have is very interesting. Individual records were the property of the War Office, and were deposited in the National Archives after the war. A sample of war hospital records was kept, and the remainder were destroyed; sadly, the Graylingwell Hospital records were among those destroyed

They currently have 3 types of info:

1. An extensive report on the war hospital period in the 1919 Annual Report.

2. There were regular reports in the local newspaper - the Chichester Observer - about the war hospital.

3. They have some photographs.

They can be contacted on:

West Sussex Record Office

County Hall

Chichester

West Sussex PO19 1RN

records.office AT westsussex.gov.uk

+44 1243 753602 (reception)

Reception is open from 9.15am to 4.45pm, Monday to Friday, with late opening on Thursday to 7.30pm. Also Saturday from 9.15am-12.30pm, and 1.30-4.30pm.

Cheers,

Summer.

If you ever want something looking at Summer, just send me a PM, I am usually in West Sussex Records Office once a week. I would also agree they are very helpful and it is one of my favourite places.

This is a recent article from the local paper

http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/your-community/city-s-important-role-caring-for-injured-troops-1-4810818

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for your very kind offer. I purchased a few photocopies of photos of patients of Graylingwell in the hopes that I might luck upon an image of my great grandfather (in avatar). I didn't unfortunately, but the images weren't in a date order so I was kind of shooting in the dark really. Katherine was the person who was a particular help to me.

I may pm you at a later date! Thx again!

Summer.