Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

scottish war memorials

jamiemcginlay

If your in the Atholl area I never managed to get to the Kinloch Rannoch memorial and could use a list of the names from that one. 

Jim

I stayed in Kinloch Rannoch for a couple of days last year and I couldn't find a War Memorial in the village, although I didn't get a chance to go into the churches so I don't know if the dead are listed there?

There is a memorial in the square when you are passing through which looks like a War Memorial but it is to a former minister.

Cheers

Adam

ps If you don't have Blair Atholl I have the names but no photos.

Thanks Adam,

I remember photographing Blair Atholl so I'm sure I have the names.

I have an old postcard of the Kinloch Rannoch & Craigvar memorial so I know it existed ( at least in the 1920'2 / 30's).

post-19-1097360528.jpg

Jim

Proof of a memorial! (and an unusual one at that) There had to be one. From the position of the hill in the background that overlooks the village I guess the road the memorial is beside is the one that goes along the South East end of Loch Rannoch, past the churchyard. I walked along it when I was there but not quite far enough obviously. It's not somewhere you just happen to be passing through though. Hope someone visits it soon.

Cheers

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

I'm along way from Scotland, (Dorset) but would appreciate any help locating the following relatives

Pte John Munro, 6th Cameron Highlanders, from Aberfeldy and

Pte Alexander Scott, 1st Scots Guards, from Kirriemuir.

I don't know if there are memorials in these towns, but would appreciate a picture

if found by you or any one else with an interest.

Kind regards Ian

Hello Ian,

I'm not sure how to load lots of pictures on the same reply...so I'll have to do them one at a time.

First is the Aberfeldy memorial

post-19-1098229390.jpg

And a close up of the name of John Munro

post-19-1098229438.jpg

Sorry about the flash on the last one, it reads John Munro Private Camerons

Here is the Kirriemuir memorial:

post-19-1098229535.jpg

And lastly a close up of the name of Alexander Scott Private, on the Kirriemuir Memorial, which is listed by regiment so his name is listed alongside five Scots Guards.

post-19-1098229651.jpg

Hello Jim,

What can I say? Fantastic response, and so quick! Thank you very much, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Regards Ian.

Thought I'd post the following photograph of Lochgelly Bowling Club War Memorial. It's one of the few private memorials I've come across - not counting Rolls of Honour. As you'd imagine all the men aso feature on the main town memorial.

Both Ptes. Rodger and Thomson were Gordon not Cameron Highlanders. Over the years most of the original lead was lost and when one of the members repainted it they mistook G.H. for C.H.

If you'd like an image for your database I'd be happy to send a better quality photo.

All the best,

Derek

Pte John Thomson ( 2nd Bn Gordons) on the picture of the monument is the one we buried this week (21st of October) in Polygon Wood Cemetery, Zonnebeke (he was missing).

I want to add that this was one of the finest ceremonies I ever attended. As a warrant officer in the Belgian, Army I was very proud to be able to participate with 15 of my people in this burial ceremony, together with about 30 officers and men of the 1st Bn of the Highlanders.

Now I understand why Scottish soldiers have such a good reputation! I was very impressed with their comittment to their dead comrade in arms. It was exceptional, even if they never knew him.

Erwin

• 2 months later...

I am trying to get pictures of the Gamrie and Bridge of Allan Memorials. Can't seem to find any pics using search engines. I live in Nottingham so its a fair drive.

Any pals with pictures they might be willing to share please.

Thanks

Gary Wood

Hi Garry,

I have an old photo of the Bridge of Allan memorial, its not very good but hope it is of help.

I don't know a Gamrie...I take it you mean Comrie? If so I'll post a pic.

Cheers,

Jim.

post-19-1104715497.jpg

Jim

Many Thanks for the Pic - Adds to the info about one of the 16th HLI men whose name is recorded on it. I am researching the whole Battalion so might ask you for more memorial pics as I get through the list of soldiers - I am on surnames beginning with "A" at the moment! The Gamrie I am thinking of is a very small place that someone has told me has a memorial, It is near Banff and Macduff in Aberdeenshire.

Again Many Thanks or the picture - always amazed at what information is out there

Kind Regards

Gary Wood

Hi Gary

I have a pic of the B of A Memorial and have photographed each of the 4 plaques.

If you let me know your e.mail I will send them. (I'm rubbish at resizing and posting)

Kind Regards

Fred

Jamie

Thanks for the pic

Are you sure this is Bridge of Allan another kind Pal has sent me some photos, which look very different to yours. :)

Best Wishes

Woody

Hi again Woody,

I'm sure the photo is of Bridge of Allan memorial. I'm from Glasgow and havn't visited the memorial in the past few years, but I remember it and I wrote the name on the back of my photograph so I'm sure (I'm always worried that I might make a mistake when filing photographs etc :( )

I'm afraid I don't have a photograph of any memorial in Gamrie. I've checked and there is no Gamrie memorial listed in the Royal British Legion directory (although that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist!). Gamrie sort of lies between Longmanhill, Gardenstown and Crovie and I would have thought that the name you're after might be on one of those memorials if there is no memorial in Gamrie (unfortunately I haven't photgraphed any of them so can't check).

All the best.

Jim

Jamie

I am also in Glasgow and am equally sure it is not Bof A as I photographed it as well as the name plaques.

I will be going up that way in the next month so I will cut by and study it from all sides.

Fred

Oooops :blink:

Thanks, I'm actually going up to Bridge of Allan next week so I'll double check. I'm sure its the memorial in the park on the left just as you enter the village after passing Stirling University? Unfortunately it was a dull day and my photographs of the bronze tablets are so dark I can't read them to double check. maybe I'll get a sunny day on my next visit?

That remins me there's a nice memorial at the top of Dumyat, I'm sure its to the Royal Scots or Scots Guards...but when I last climbed it a few years ago I'd forgot my camera. Maybe I'll manage to get up there as well...burn of those Christmas calories.

Cheers.

Jim