Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Side Arm Identication help please.

derekb

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Can you help me with the identification of the sidearm in the attached photographs?

It is 59 centimetres in length.

The cross hilt is marked “3. T. B. 129. – Is this the 3rd Train Bataillon Feldbackeriekolonne

( Field Bakery Column), weapon number 129?

The leather scabbard is stamped with “ 7 LWB” ?

The scabbard chape is marked “B. III. E. F. F. 1. 59.” The only thing I know about this is that the “F” could be for “Fernsprecher – Abeitlung" (Field Telephone Company), is “59” the weapon number?

Any help with the model type and explanation of the markings would be much appreciated.

Also if the sidearm belonged to a Field Bakery Column and a Field Telephone Company, in which order do you think it would have been.

Best regards,

Derek.

post-18694-0-04671100-1367161300_thumb.j

post-18694-0-12849800-1367161438_thumb.j

post-18694-0-86021200-1367161676_thumb.j

post-18694-0-91824700-1367161779_thumb.j

It is a Model 1855 Pioneer sword.

Because this is such an early model weapon it is quite difficult to say with any certainty exactly what the unit markings indicate - the regulations changed over time.

We can say that the scabbard was not the original issue with the sword (they appear to be mismatched) due to the scabbard bearing the B prefix for Bavarian issue.

Are there any dates of manufacture marked on the weapon.? This will help narrow the timelines a little. TB could indicate Train Battalion while E may be Eisenbahn.

Cheers, S>S

Looking into this a little further, I believe you are correct with your initial estimate for 3.T.B.129 - I agree it is most likely Train-Bataillon Nr.3, Feldbackerei-Kolonne, Waffe Nr.129

And with your marking on the scabbard B.III.E.F.1.59 after some further investigation I believe it could relate to the 3. Bavarian AK, Etappen-Fuhrpark-Kolonne Nr.1, Waffe Nr.59

Your sword may also have had some modification at some stage as the grips did not usually have the 3 bolts and nuts attaching the handle. Perhaps the blade has been replaced.

Cheers, S>S

Thanks Auchonvillersomme and Shipping steel,

There aren't any indications of date on the blade.

Whilst researching the sidearm I have seen two others with the same blade, hilt configuration and scabbard which leads me to believe that the alterations were officially sanctioned.

Again thank you for your help.

Regards,

Derek.

Hello,

the 'E' could also stand for Ersatz

Cnock

there also existed a model only in steel/iron, no brass

mine had the markings of a Saxon reserve infantry rgt

regards,

Cnock