Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which squadrons in 1917-18 combat used the S.C.R. 59 Airplane Radio?

Blackhawk

I have a Signal Corps US Army Airplane Receiving Set S. C. R. 59 made by Western Electric Co. Inc.; and understand the first sets were shipped abroad in October 1917. A list of allied airplane squadrons using this type Signal Corps Radio sets in combat would be appreciated. There seems plenty of testing detail information, but combat use is my particular interest. My SCR 59 photo also shows a picture of Col. N. H. Slaughter, chief of the US Army Air Service Radio Division watching a 1917 aircraft-radio test along with other AT&T employees.

post-98137-0-39147500-1367103150_thumb.j

• 10 years later...

Can't answer your question. However, the men in the photograph are, left to right in front of the table: E. B. [Edward Beech] Craft, an executive at Western Electric in a suit and later Executive Vice President of Bell Telephone Laboratories; Lt. Colonel Nugent Hunter Slaughter, holding the microphone, chief of the US Army Signal Corps Air Service Radio Division/Radio Laboratories and, later, first Chief Engineer of the Recording Department at Warner Bros./Vitaphone/First National; and in back of the table, left to right, Dr./Capt. Ralph Bown, head of the Radio Laboratories technical department and eventually Vice President, Bell Telephone Laboratories; and Major Nathan Levinson, my grandfather and, some years later, head of the sound department at Warner Bros./Vitaphone/First National and, in WWII, promoted to Colonel.