Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Menin Gate

Jacky Platteeuw

Tonight was one of my most emotional Ceremonies I ever attended. Nothing was predicting such an event because no guests were expected. Around 19.45hrs I was approached by a lady with a little note. She asked me if it was possible to commemorate her grandfather telling me that her 92 year old mother was amongst the crowd. It was the first visit ever her mum did to the battlefields and the first ever visit to her father's 'grave'. The soldier in question was Private Charles Wells, 2nd Bn the Queen's killed on 16 may 1915 and commemorated on Le Touret. She was then 3 1/2 years old. You can think of the extremely emotional moment when I asked the gathered people for a special thought for her father.

The gratitude in her eyes were overwhelming. Very, very special. It makes you feel good!!!!

Jacky

Jacky,

very well done -I understand this is great satisfaction. If I am in Ypres I always attend the ceremonies and admire the Menin Gate peace message- I wish the Germans had something central like the Menin Gate to commemorate their dead - I'd love to come to you with a little note of somebody special who has no known grave.....

I wish the Germans had something central like the Menin Gate to commemorate their dead

egbert

I know that this has been debated before but it never ceases to amaze me how indifferent the Germans APPEAR to be to their dead.

At the German cemetaries that I have visited, there is little apparent indication of their respect for their fallen in terms of visits, wreaths and so on.

I am sure that I am wrong but that is the way it seems to me. Indeed, I would go further than this. It seems to me that it is the young who are the most visible in paying their respects and hoping for the future.

I don't want to offend when I say this. I just say what I see.

Please let me know if I am wrong, and how.

Regards

Martin

Thank you, Jacky, for sharing this emotional experience.

I know that this has been debated before but it never ceases to amaze me how indifferent the Germans APPEAR to be to their dead.

Hello Martin

I know that Egbert can speak for himself, but I would like to say as a British visitor, German war memorials are, to me, some of the most moving, affecting, desolate and anguished I've ever seen.

I will try to find a couple of my photos to exemplify.

(I have noticed many more wreaths and so on in cemeteries which are geographically nearer to Germany, such as in Alsace.)

Gwyn

I have noticed many more wreaths and so on in cemeteries which are geographically nearer to Germany, such as in Alsace.

Gwyn

Oh I quite agree. The layout, sculptures and the whole ambience is really very moving and certainly worthy of the dead.

But it does seem as though they are kept in aspic, if you see what I mean.

Egbert was talking about the Menin Gate as a memorial to the fallen who have no known grave.

All I can find in the German cemetaries are memorials to those buried in mass graves eg as at Langemarck.

Where are the 'unknown' honoured'? Or perhaps I have missed them.

Interesting about your comment re. cemetaries closer to Germany itslf. I wonder if this is really a factor.

Martin

Thanks Jacky - great post.

I witnessed a similar event whereby the daughter of a WW1 postumous VC winner was present with her daughter as the description of her fathers act was read out - it was indeed very moving.

Ryan

I will have to add a location later, but this memorial in the Bavarian Alps moved me.

post-19-1094768240.jpg

Its inscription, which Egbert very kindly translated for me, is also powerful.

I'll have to go and look up the translation and append it later.

post-19-1094769311.jpg

Let us return to the original post.

Well done Jacky and all involved in the good works of The Last Post Association.

" HE IS NOT MISSING, HE IS HERE "

Lord Plumer at the unveiling on The Menin Gate, 1927.

Let us return to the original post.

Well done Jacky and all involved in good works of The Last Post Association.

" HE IS NOT MISSING,  HE IS HERE "

Lord Plumer at the unveiling on The Menin Gate, 1927.

Hm Jas (kinnethmont),

Jacky's devotion and dedication is exemplary!!!

So you don't want me to answer Martin and Gwyn? Well you'll miss a German standpoint, which by the way might not be of so much interest in a largely British run forum ;)

Egbert

I would like to know the translation, please.

Perhaps you might consider starting another thread, and sharing a report on your recent Battlefield tour with us.

Very moving story Jacky.

Every year on november 11th I'm participating The Poppie Parade as a member of 'The Western Front Association - Belgium".

And every year I feel the same chill, and it's not due to the november weather.

I wish the Germans had something central like the Menin Gate to commemorate their dead.

I'm afraid the Germans are a bit embarrassed about their part in history. Even we, Belgians, dont have 'our Menin Gate'.

Our schools dont even 'talk' about WWI. What a difference with Great-Brittain. Every time I visit a British cemetery in Flanders I see whole schoolgroups of young students. It has to be an example!

Jacky/Egbert

I think perhaps that my posting has detracted from the strength of the event that was described.

It was not intended as such and I can only apologise.

Martin

I've requested that the posts responding to Martin's original remarks be transferred to a new thread of their own.

Gwyn

Bonza /Dragon

I don't what Egberts translation from a german standpoint would be but maybe I could put one in from the Brit side, can't make it rhymme though as it's only a translation.

Not the peace, that the cold heat of conpirators forged from hate.

The peace give us, those who with their blood, the young warriors in the battle did seal.

Mike

It will be difficult to split the burlington - Dragon - egbert sub-thread from the main one without mangling it somewhat. Sorry.

egbert: "mainly British run forum"? Not at all. Entirely British run, and English at that, and proud of it! :lol:

But back to Jacky's post.

Yes indeed, a fine and heart-warming tale, Jacky, and thanks for telling us about it.

Jackie

I would like to thank you and your team, for all the time, hard work, and dedication, you all put into the organising and running of the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate.

In May this year my sister and I were at the Mennin Gate on our first visit to the area of Ypres

Standing at the Last Post Ceremony there are no words to describe the emotion my sister and I felt, knowing that my grandfarther had walked the road from Ypres to hill 60, The photo/post cards he sent home show Ypres, or what was left of the cloth hall and city centre.

He was one of the very few who walked back into the city, and returned home near the end of the war, so his name is not carved in stone in Belgum of France,

As for the relation's of names that ARE carved in stone, at the Menin Gate, Tyne Cot, or any location in Belgum or France, I can fully understand the overwhelmin emotion at being at the Menin Gate fot the Last Post.

Thank You.

Colin Roberts.

Shetland Islands.

In Memory of - Pte W. G. Pritchard. 8273. Devonshire Reg.,