Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Montreuil: Visitor centre about GHQ planned in citadel

angelab

That looks interesting, Angela. I remember staying a night in Montreuil and walking the ramparts in the early morning mist. I'm sure this plan will attract lots of visitors.

Thanks for posting

cheers Martin B

I agree. This will be a superb addition to the area and highlighting the rear area contributions to the War to complement the action areas.

Jim

I agree, although I would question referring to GHQ as a contributor to the War. Gary Sheffield and Dan Todman in their 'Command and Control on the Western Front' referred to it as 'the Grand Lamasery' which they amplified as 'a military monastery in which doctrine, order and tradition were the religion. Montreuil is, in my opinion, allways worth a visit even if only for itself. Some years ago I recall asking the tourist office at the citidal if there were any parts of the buildings which had been used by the British Headquarters were open to the public. There was a slight sloping of the shoulders.

Old Tom

Yes, I was very excited to read about the plans, as I did once wander through the deserted casemates during a visit to the citadel, and thought what stories those brick walls must be able to tell...

Angela

I rented a house in Montreuil sur Mer a couple of years ago and goodness me was it an expensive town.

Maxi

• 4 weeks later...