Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone ID these pieces recently found ?

Deckape

The folowing pieces were found on the Somme this year, can anyone give me any further info on any of them ? Thanks :

dscf1111bi.jpg

Im wondering if the top 2 may be some kind of cape fastener ? the item with the reverse 2 is two cm wide. Here is the back :

dscf1112ll.jpg

And finally this little stud which is 1 cm across, it seems to have a cross design.......any thoughts ?

dscf1109fq.jpg

Thanks in anticipation guys......

I think the studs are probably snap fasteners from P08 web equipment.

The hooks appear to be French and were used on the leather equipment Mle.1892 suspenders (or 'Y- strap' to collectors) to take up the weight of the (front) ammunition pouches.

Dave

Dave is right! Metal fasteners that connected strap to pouch on French leather rifle equipment. Stud also appears to be from 08

TT

Stud with cross.......possibly from German water bottle cover?

TT

In hindsight I think that Paul and TT are correct, on reflection I seem to recall that the brass snap fasteners on P08 web equipment had a stippled/dotted surface?

Thanks for the answers gents, much appreciated. Any ideas of the stud with the reverse 2 ?

Cheers

I think it is probably the end of a stamp, used with a hammer to emboss serial numbers on leather and soft metal equipment.

I think it is probably the end of a stamp, used with a hammer to emboss serial numbers on leather and soft metal equipment.

That would make sense, thanks again for your time.

Cheers

Stud with cross.......possibly from German water bottle cover?

TT

Thanks for the above, could well be. Just had a look on the TMD website and can`t quite see but it does look like it could be. That said, Wardogs call is also a good shout, certainly possible. Have to look at some close ups. It does seem to have leather inbetween if thats any use. Cheers both

German water-bottle press stud....

post-357-0-24342000-1367261872.jpg